VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I've been looking in to getting a capture card for recording gaming from my PS3, I don't want to spend a fortune on one, So a HD one is not that important, A good quality SD one with 16:9 720x576 capture will do, Anyone recommened one?

Also i would like to ask if i can capture through my tv when playing on my PS3 or will i have to connect it up to the PS3 with splitters.

My tv is a 37LG5020 and has the following connections

Connectors type 1 x AV, 3 x audio, 1 x S-Video, 1 x Component video, 2 x SCART, 1 x RGB, 1 x VGA, 3 x HDMI, 1 x RS-232

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    People ask this question from time to time, but most of us here aren't gamers. If you want to search, we've had good answers to this question before. Search is broken within individual forums like Capturing, so you have to go to the top of all forums to search. I can tell you that you will need a card that can capture PAL60 video because some of your games may output that and most video capture cards cannot capture that. Using PAL60 as a search term may lead to some matches for your question. If I remembered what others had used I would tell you, so I'm not telling you to search because I just want to make you work to get the information. The recommended card was by some manufacturer I hadn't heard of and I don't remember their name.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I recommend the pinnacle usb tv tuners. The hdtv ones. THey have 16:9 recording modes.

One caveat - that is for recording off air broadcasts for capture to dvd. I never tried the 16:9 mode from external sources.

For that I use the hd pvr 1212. That records via component cables and fiber optic for surround sound (it can record via analog rca).

Now granted the hd pvr is rather pricey (I think its around 200.00 USD give or take - it should be cheaper used on auction websites). But the nice thing is it does record widescreen beautifully and gives you m2ts and mp4 recording options.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking at getting the dazzle dvd recorder http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001918NLC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=471057153&...425P1W06PW06EV

Along with one of these cables http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plated-Triple-Composite-Cable-Mountain/dp/B001F7MSKM/ref=sr_1_...3125052&sr=1-6

Do i need splitters? or will i be able to connect the cables directly into the back of my tv to record?

But seen has the dazzle dvd recorder has a s-video connection would it better to connect it up to the s-video on the tv for better quality?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Very few, if any, TV's have video OUTPUTS, they are all most likely INPUTS.

Don't know the answer myself but the PS3 may very well have two outputs active at the same time, if not, you will either need a splitter or use the output from the capture card. Most times the capture card output is very slightly delayed, making game play difficult if not impossible.

The Hauppage or the Blackmagic Intensity is usually mentioned for doing this, I used my old ATI card on an Xbox360 for this, it will cap 16:9.

Dazzle products often get exceedingly negative reviews here, have never used one myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well hdtvs will most likely have at least an optical output for digital audio, probably not video though.

As for the ps3 and muli-outputs - it will simultanously output two audio sources with a more recent firmware upgrade. I don't know when they made that change but it was sometime in 2009. So if its a factory fresh model from early last year or before without a firmware upgrade you will need to upgrade it to enable the multi output function.

As for multi video output I do not know if it is capable of that. WHen I have dubbed from the ps3 I have used the capture software to view the video on the computer.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by restarts
    Hi

I've been looking in to getting a capture card for recording gaming from my PS3, I don't want to spend a fortune on one, So a HD one is not that important, A good quality SD one with 16:9 720x576 capture will do, Anyone recommened one?

Also i would like to ask if i can capture through my tv when playing on my PS3 or will i have to connect it up to the PS3 with splitters.

My tv is a 37LG5020 and has the following connections

Connectors type 1 x AV, 3 x audio, 1 x S-Video, 1 x Component video, 2 x SCART, 1 x RGB, 1 x VGA, 3 x HDMI, 1 x RS-232

Thanks
    If you want to record HD check out the Hauppauge HD-PVR. It loops component video to the HDTV and hardware encodes captured video to h.264.

The Black Magic Intensity uses a software codec to record large MJPEG files or records uncompressed to a multi-disk RAID.

The HAVA boxes take in HD component but downsize to SD for recording.

If you record SD with a cheap card, you need to run your PS3 in SD mode.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd try checking if the PS3 can output to multiple connections instead of seeing if the TV can pass-thru the signal to a capture card. That way one output goes to the TV and the other goes to the capture card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GSP_87
    I'd try checking if the PS3 can output to multiple connections instead of seeing if the TV can pass-thru the signal to a capture card. That way one output goes to the TV and the other goes to the capture card.
    Most game consoles output one format at a time.

HDTV sets only have HD formats in, not out.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The ps3 can output multiple audio (in 2 channel mode). As mentioned I don't believe it can ouptut multiple video simultaneously.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I believe the PS3 has the ability to out put multiple video signals, mostly because the concept model had two HDMI ports on it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kevyn View Post
    I believe the PS3 has the ability to out put multiple video signals, mostly because the concept model had two HDMI ports on it.
    The PS3 cannot output video via HDMI and one of its analog connection at the same time.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/263510/does-ps3-simultaneously-output-composite-and-hdmi
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-946215.html

I don't think it can output video via its component connections and one of its other analog connections at the same time either.

I believe the only two video connections one could possibly use at the same time are composite and S-video. I think I remember a poster in another thread used a composite + S-video cable connected to the PS3 (instead of splitting the composite video output) to provide a better video signal for capture, but I can't find the thread to confirm it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Nov 2011 at 08:19. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  13. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yeah, there's a big difference between a prototype and something that has to be manufactured at a certain cost.

I don't think it can output video via its component connections and one of its other analog connections at the same time either.
    All of the official output cables (Sony sells three separately in NA: Composite, S-Video, and Component) connect to the same "AV MULTI OUT" port, so it's an either/or scenario unless someone has hacked together a cable that can do more at once.

http://www.ps3devwiki.com/index.php?title=Connectors#AV_Multi_Out
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Yeah, there's a big difference between a prototype and something that has to be manufactured at a certain cost.

All of the official output cables (Sony sells three separately in NA: Composite, S-Video, and Component) connect to the same "AV MULTI OUT" port, so it's an either/or scenario unless someone has hacked together a cable that can do more at once.

http://www.ps3devwiki.com/index.php?title=Connectors#AV_Multi_Out
    I looked at the pin-out for the AV Multi Out in the link and it looked like it might allow s-video and composite video to function simultaneously using a third-party cable, since they do not use the same pins for video.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Nov 2011 at 18:04.
    Quote Quote