VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dble post
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ocgw, so you use the full backkup w/out reencoding? I can see where that would look better (pun intended - freebie!) since there is more info for rendering. I don't want to build an array, but yours is impressive!
    For a small file size/small server the compressed version is the way to go, unless you have unlimited space & budget then uncompressed is the best option. Now, if I can just find that 2tb drive on sale..
    I want my stuff, not your stuff. Ok, we can share.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TomBud
    ocgw, so you use the full backkup w/out reencoding? I can see where that would look better (pun intended - freebie!) since there is more info for rendering. I don't want to build an array, but yours is impressive!
    For a small file size/small server the compressed version is the way to go, unless you have unlimited space & budget then uncompressed is the best option. Now, if I can just find that 2tb drive on sale..
    thx bro'

Not knocking anybody's viewpoint, they are all valid, the way I look @ it my PC is a big arse DVR, you can never have all the movies, but you can have a few in high quality

I don't have an unlimited budget, so I only save the main movie w/ 1 standard 5.1 audio track (DTS prefered) and no subs

eventually i will have to start picking and choosing what I will save

The goal is the 1000 uncompressed movie dvr

Then i will be my own freakin' cable company

ps. nobody get me wrong , the x264 codec/encoder is absoutely amazing, but nothing is perfect

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dble post
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One of the benefits of buying Seagate or Maxtor or Western Digital USB 2.0 external Harddrives is they go into idle mode ... and wont be running all the time.

If the harddrives are in the Tower ... the hard drives will be doing alot more spinning and will fail sooner ... I am getting some pretty good life out of my external USB 2.0 harddrives.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I used to have a lot of externals, eSATA, Firewire and USB 2.0. Most of them failed after a year or two, it seemed shortly after the warranty expired. I've had the WD Black hdds that are inside my case for about a year now and they're going strong, except for one of them which I've RMA'd. They have a 5 year warranty. I have all my files backed up so if a drive fails, for the next 4 years, I'm not too concerned about it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lacywest
    One of the benefits of buying Seagate or Maxtor or Western Digital USB 2.0 external Harddrives is they go into idle mode ... and wont be running all the time.

If the harddrives are in the Tower ... the hard drives will be doing alot more spinning and will fail sooner ... I am getting some pretty good life out of my external USB 2.0 harddrives.
    Lacy, Lacy, Maxtor, Seagate, & WD HDD's spindown after they have not been accessed for a while because is written in the drives firmware and has nothing to do w/ whether it is mounted internally or externally

You can access the settings to change the spindown time in Windows w/ Harddrive Utilities such as HDDScan

http://hddguru.com/download/software/HDDScan/HDDScan_v31.zip

ps. I have 10,000rpm WD Raptors that are 4.5 years old and are still under warruntee, all WD HDD's are 5 year warruntee and Seagate HDD's are 3 year warruntee, and then you can mount them internally or in a usb enclosure

What's more important than spindown time is cooling, drives don't wear out from spinning, they wear out from heat, excessive head wear from fragmentation is another HDD killer

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
  8. I mostly have WD Black Caviar 1T hdds and a 3 WD Green Caviar. The Black have a 5-yerar warranty and the Green have a 3-year warranty. I don't have as many problems with the internals as I did with the externals. The externals only lasted an average of about 1 year, 2 years sometimes and they would act up, such as turning off by themselves, but it may be due to the cases and had nothing to do with the drives. I've had only 1 drive out of 12 fail since I installed them in my tower.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I read this at the Test Freaks site, about the Pioneer BDR-205 Internal Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer, "You must have a HD Blu-Ray Video card in your PC before buying this product or it would not work properly." Is this true.
    I have an ASUS EAH4650-DI-512MD2 AMD ATI Radeon HD 4650. Does anyone know if it will it work with my card?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HartsVideo View Post
    I read this at the Test Freaks site, about the Pioneer BDR-205 Internal Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer, "You must have a HD Blu-Ray Video card in your PC before buying this product or it would not work properly." Is this true.
    I have an ASUS EAH4650-DI-512MD2 AMD ATI Radeon HD 4650. Does anyone know if it will it work with my card?
    Yes, you do and yes it will:

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4600 Series Specs

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4600 Series Product Features

• 514 million transistors on 55nm fabrication process
    • Unified Superscalar Shader Architecture
    • Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1 support
    • OpenGL 3.2 support
    • GDDR3/DDR3/DDR2 memory interface (depending on model)
    • PCI Express 2.0 x16 bus interface
    • 320 stream processing units
    • 24x custom filter anti-aliasing (CFAA) and high performance anisotropic filtering
    • Dual mode ATI CrossFireX™ multi-GPU support for highly scalable performance
    • Dynamic geometry acceleration
    • ATI Avivo™ HD video and display technology1
      • Unified Video Decoder 2 (UVD 2) for Blu-ray™ and HD Video
      • DVD Upscaling
      • Dynamic Contrast
      • Built-in HDMI with 7.1 surround sound support
      • DisplayPort™ with audio
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks so much, ricoman
    Quote Quote