VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab Passkey and copy Blu-ray and DVDs! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all.

I am very agrivated and pissed off at M$, again. I'm inacent I tell you, inacent.

Several weeks ago, I had hooked up my Sony TRV-22 dv cam to capture certain vhs tapes for a special project I was doing for someone. It was only a couple of days worth. Anyway. Here we are several weeks later when I want to use my advc-100 again, and now I can't get it to work, recignise or anything. If I plug the wire in my dv cam that works, if I plug the wire into the advc-100 it does not work, period. I began down the spiraling ladder of many suggestions floating around the google though in complete failure.

So as I was saying.. I was trying to re-install my ADVC-100 on my xp home (it used to work before) and in the process of trying various 1394.sys and a few other driver files, including windows 98 1394.sys drivers--anything, to get this damn advc to work again, I finally got the dreaded and feared activation message. Mind you, this xp home computer is not connected to the internet. It is intentionally a non-internet computer for the purpose of protecting the integrity, etc.

I did not make any hardware changes, other than add a 1TB usb2 drive last week, everything is the same. The only change I was making was drivers, but hardly anything to do with xp's opeating system. I mean, com'on man. What the hell.

Is there an UNDO for the activation part ? i know..dumb question, but now i'm desporate because these sort of things weigh to heavily for me to bother and I usually just give up. I may just go back to windows 98 again, full time. I mean, this is not what I want in Vista or W7, so I'll definately be staying away from those two operation systems.

What went wrong in the activation trip ? All I heard through reading on these boards is how you "can't" trip it no matter how many times you add/remove I/O cards and other things, and gosh, I was nowhere near hardware other than a firewire cable, that's it.

What can I do to prevent this from happening again ? I'm sure that I will be doing similar futzing type operations like this to get devices to work under xp. I know I've read other people's futzing around to get devices to work under xp, etc., but never came across tripping the activation in their trails, till mine. How's that for proving everybody wrong though--you can trip activation through software changes too--though I wasn't nowhere near that action.

I still need my advc-100, who can help me with getting this to work again, and also how to avoid tripping the activation in future processes like this ?

Thank you.

-vhelp 5288

:P *~*!*~*!~* HaPpY HoLiDaYs *~*!*~*!~*
    Quote Quote  
  2. The only change I was making was drivers, but hardly anything to do with xp's opeating system. I mean, com'on man. What the hell.
    Why were you trying to put Win98 drivers on an XP system? That's a recipe for really screwing things up including convincing the OS that something has been fiddled with (innocently, of course). XP has native drivers for DV devices and I've yet to hear of anyone with a Canopus converter not being recognized.
    John Miller
    enosoft - high performance tools for music and video

Home of the Enosoft DV Processor - Free for personal use!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    believe me, the unit is completely dead to (my) xp home. plugging in a dvcam killed (removed) any trace of drivers that the advc-100 used to use previously when DV was initially (driver'wise) activated and installed. And being that I have absolutely no knowledge of xp (like I do in w98 case) its confounding traps leave me relentless exhaustion. I've been at this for several days now, and I'm at the point of doing anything now.

The advc is not the same beast as a dvcam-different salutes if you get my meaning. Anyway

I was trying the w98 drivers because I had a similar experence on 98 and had to go through strange steps to get this working there (remember, gold doesn't support usb/firewire, so i hacked se drivers by trial and error) but once working under w98 I can capture either with the trv-22 or advc with no problems-its a matter of first shutting off the dv (either) device and swapping one of the .sys drivers, I think it was the dvcam.sys and msdv.sys, I would rename one of them (had a batch file to do this for me) but I never use the trv-22 anymore on that machine. In fact, just out of curiosity, I connected the advc-100 to *this* pc and it is working fine but this machine is far too limited (hdd space, etc) for me to capture to it anymore. That is the job of my xp home, my video workstation built and designed for video processing.

Trying the w98 (crazy as it sounds) was my last retarted idea after trying countless and countless others to no avail. This unit simply will not be recignised no matter what I do.

-vhelp 5291
    Quote Quote  
  4. Do you have the full version of XP or an OEM? If the former then you could try to repair the installation (use the original CD-ROM). It will identify missing drivers (or wrong versions). With the OEM, it depends on how the PC maker set it up.

As evil as they might be, MS do respond quite nicely if you phone them and explain (especially since this particular PC is deliberately off limits as far as internet access goes).

What I'd do is:

1. Call MS and activate your system
    2. Back up your system
    3. Try the repair option
    4. Try the Canopus
    5. If it doesn't work then see if your TRV-22 is recognized
    6. If that doesn't work then come back here
    John Miller
    enosoft - high performance tools for music and video

Home of the Enosoft DV Processor - Free for personal use!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the upgrade xp home edition, purchased many years ago..i forget the date by now.

1. not aplicable yet, don't even have a phone no anymore.
    2. not aplicable, too much stuff, partitions, and utilties "hacked" to work-no roadmap back if lost
    3. never done, don't have .exe or 3rd party tool for this step
    4. try the canapus: failed
    5. trv-22, worked perfectly right now
    6. stumpped

I was trying all the suggestions in this link out though none work either:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/archive/index.php/t-42557-p-1.html)even

-vhelp 5292
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp
    I have the upgrade xp home edition, purchased many years ago..i forget the date by now.

1. not aplicable yet, don't even have a phone no anymore.
    Then you've got bigger problems than we can possibly help you with.

Help you? Not applicable.

Here's your bottom line - either activate Windoze or reinstall the OS. There's no "magic" to make activation not occur and as you found out almost anything can turn it on. Whatever you read was wrong. I've heard of people simply putting in additional memory and being asked to activate it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Do this, it will work.

1. Check second option.
    2. Click next, you will get a customer service number.
    3. Have your upgrade CD number ready.
    4. Call customer service.
    5. Calmly explain everything. They will give you a long activation number
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't get me wrong, I agree, ultimately required reactivation..no getting around it now.

But, that still won't fix my advc-100 problem. Still, I think I'm going to give it up altogether because its picky from machine to machine, old techknoligy and not worth this headacke again, its a dead format as far as I'm concirned, and I've been through this before. Beside, my analog captures are ultimately better quality. Thank you.

-vhelp 5293
    Quote Quote  
  9. Activation may not solve the problem but it will allow you to continue trying to figure out what is wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  10. isnt there a virus that can cause this as well? i thought i saw it earlier in the year that there is a fake activation virus which will cause this...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys. As you can see, I'm in a much better mood

Yes, just wanted to let you all know that I have successfully re-activated my xp home. I was expecting to argue with the rep but instead, got an automated one, that, I like that

You see, admittingly, I seem to have lost my original cd and was chewing on my nails with fear over this activation nonsense, but out of whim I decided to click on the activation's [NEXT] button to see what would happen, hmm.. and thats when it popped up my old activation ID's, then I took another leap, and reached over for the phone, and, the rest is history.. I like that!

Now, do I want to even bother with re-attempting the advc-100, ahh, re-activation hmm..

-vhelp 5294
    Quote Quote