VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    This is the link to download DVDShrink with Imgburn
    http://download3.videohelp.com/DVDShrink32_w_ImgBurn.rar
    But there are no instructions. Insofar as I can determine, it does not work.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It works. Dvdshrink shrinks and Imgburn burns the disc. What more do you need?
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep!.Select 'Backup' tab-> Select Backup Target-> choose ' ISO Image File and burn with Imgburn'...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  4. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Thanks, but that's insufficient instructions. I need a step by step starting with the download...like for a newbie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob
    Thanks, but that's insufficient instructions. I need a step by step starting with the download...like for a newbie.
    What is the big, hairy deal? Nobody here made or designed that software. If nobody
    here knows then you are on your own. Insufficient instructions? Your lucky I've
    already been a rotten prick once today.
    Quote Quote  
  6. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    The deal is that it doesn't work for me, so I need detailed step-by-step instructions to install and use it. If nobody wants to provide that, then so be it. I can only ask.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Install ImgBurn first.
    Install DVD Shrink with ImgBurn version.
    Run DVD Shrink. Uncheck 'Enable burning with Nero' in preferences. When the program runs and you click 'Backup', select 'ISO Image File and burn with ImgBurn'. You won't see that until you click 'Backup'.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What the "I've already been a rotten prick once today" poster MEANT to say was that there are numerous step-by-step guides available to you here (links from the "how to" list in the upper left corner of this page):

o https://www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup

There are several which deal with DVD Shrink, Imgburn, others.
    Quote Quote  
  9. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Install ImgBurn first.
    Run DVD Shrink. Uncheck 'Enable burning with Nero' in preferences. When the program runs and you click 'Backup', select 'ISO Image File and burn with ImgBurn'. You won't see that until you click 'Backup'.
    Thanks. Extracting the downloaded .rar file gives an .exe file (nothing else). Running the .exe file doesn't install anything, just makes the DVDShrink UI appear. So is it to be run in that fashion, just as a standalone .exe, without the other files which usually accompany a proper installation of DVDShrink?
    Quote Quote  
  10. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by CobraPilot
    What the "I've already been a rotten prick once today" poster MEANT to say was that there are numerous step-by-step guides available to you here (links from the "how to" list in the upper left corner of this page):

o https://www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup

There are several which deal with DVD Shrink, Imgburn, others.
    I'm quite familiar with DVDShrink, Imgburn, etc and don't need those guides. However I'm not familiar with the DVDShrink-Imgburn version which apparently has no guide nor instructions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The deal is that it doesn't work for me, so I need detailed step-by-step instructions to install and use it. If nobody wants to provide that, then so be it. I can only ask.
    you wont get anywhere if you dont take the time to state what the problem actually is.

"it doesnt work for me"

you need a computer for it to work
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    There is another version of DVDShrink + ImgBurn that can be downloaded from rapidshare. You can find the link in this thread at afterdawn. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/664041 With this one, you install Shrink normally, then replace the executable file with the one from the download.

This is the version of Shrink I have been using, though I never actually burn automatically with ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LmFa0! Geez, just open up dvdshrink and let it do it's thing and save to iso file. As redwudz said uncheck the NERO in dvdshrink. Then after the dvdshrink process is done then open up IMGBURN and just burn the iso image you got from dvdshrink.

Dunno why peeps want the IMGBURN to work automatically within dvdshrink. Geez, it's just one more click of your mouse to open up IMGBURN to burn the iso image.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Install ImgBurn first. Get the newest version here:

http://www.imgburn.com/

Do all steps in order given for best results.
    1. Install latest version of ImgBurn, if not already installed.
    2. Install dvdshrink32setup.exe (installation program) if not already installed.
    3. Copy and paste the DVD Shrink 3.2_w_IB exe file into the DVD Shrink Programs folder, C:\Program Files\DVD Shrink .
    (With only the modified Shrink exe from the zip file loaded the program will work, but some functions are lost. Use of stored Still Images and the Help files rely on installation files in Program Files.)
    4. Click DVD Shrink shortcut on Desktop to open DVD Shrink.
    5. Open a DVD, Disc Image, or Files and select Backup.
    6. Select Target Device,
    7. Under Select backup target:, in the dropdown window select Create ISO Image file:, ISO Image File and burn with ImgBurn .
    8. You're now ready to use DVD Shrink with support for ImgBurn.
    (Remember to set output drive and and burn speed in ImgBurn.)

This Read Me is courtesy of PacMan777.

Thanks PacMan!!

Happy Burning!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or you can just install ImgBurn and regular DVD Shrink, tell DVD Shrink to save the backup as an ISO image, and just open that in ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  16. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Lawbringer

2. Install dvdshrink32setup.exe (installation program) if not already installed.
    3. Copy and paste the DVD Shrink 3.2_w_IB exe file into the DVD Shrink Programs folder, C:\Program Files\DVD Shrink .
    (With only the modified Shrink exe from the zip file loaded the program will work, but some functions are lost. Use of stored Still Images and the Help files rely on installation files in Program Files.)
    6. Select Target Device,
    7. Under Select backup target:, in the dropdown window select Create ISO Image file:, ISO Image File and burn with ImgBurn .

Thanks PacMan!!

Happy Burning!
    Lawbringer...

Thanks, I was able to follow your procedure with one modification. Step 6 is impossible because there is no "Target Device" option available, so simply continue with step 7 instead. My test disc was written with ImgBurn and verified OK. The advantage of this method is that the info is filled into the ImgBurn UI forms and it's ready to burn to DVD pretty much automatically, a little easier than typing in the data manually.

However the data is stored on hard drive as a single .iso file rather than in AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders, and I've always used the latter in the past. I have very little prior experience with .iso files. Testing... I see that .iso files won't play with PowerDVD, which I use frequently. Also in the near future I plan to connect an output cable from my computer directly to my TV to play movies directly from hard disc, rather than using DVDs and standalone DVD players as an intermediary. So it appears that .iso files don't suit my purposes. To wit, I have a 2TB external drive on order as the first step towards making that transition. Goodbye DVDs, hello external hard drives. I think it's the way to go.

This was an experiment to discover and see how it worked. Thanks to all who responded. Project completed from this end. Cheerio and have a nice day!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vlc can play iso files and you can simply change dvdshrinks settings to make video_ts folder instead of an iso.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    LmFa0! Geez, just open up dvdshrink and let it do it's thing and save to iso file. As redwudz said uncheck the NERO in dvdshrink. Then after the dvdshrink process is done then open up IMGBURN and just burn the iso image you got from dvdshrink.

Dunno why peeps want the IMGBURN to work automatically within dvdshrink. Geez, it's just one more click of your mouse to open up IMGBURN to burn the iso image.
    That's what I was also thinking....in a roundabout way. WTF is the big deal?
    AND.....ImgBurn burns DVD folders just as easily now.
    Quote Quote  
  19. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by T-Fish
    vlc can play iso files and you can simply change dvdshrinks settings to make video_ts folder instead of an iso.
    Thanks for the info but I gave VLC Player a lengthy tryout in the past, found it too buggy and difficult to operate/understand, hated it with a passion, so uninstalled it. I much prefer PowerDVD. Of course I know Shrink can make VIDEO_TS folder, which is how I have been doing it for years, but wanted to try the other way (.iso) which various people have been tauting here.

Originally Posted by hech54
    Originally Posted by budz

That's what I was also thinking....in a roundabout way. WTF is the big deal?
    AND.....ImgBurn burns DVD folders just as easily now.
    The big deal is that various people have been mentioning the Shrink-ImgBurn version as a neato solution, so I wanted to give it a try, but then I encountered the problem that there were no readily available instructions for it. My request for same caused some kneejerk reactions from people who thought instructions were unnecessary. It really needs to have a reliable and accurate guide written for it. The only advantage I see is that it loads and fills in the proper ImgBurn UI form automatically, which I suppose helps some people. ImgBurn isn't easy to understand, authored with a mischievous sense of humor.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Funny how nearly everyone paid out on the OP but neglected to advise him (with the exception of Lawbringer!) that you need to download & install the regular DVD Shrink 3.2 first, and then download the DVDShrink w/Imgburn, and then replace the original DVDShrink exe file with the new DVDShrink/w/imgburn exe file.

Yes, JohnnyBob, it's true that DVDShrink makes an .iso image file before burning automatically with ImgBurn. You can select to make a VIDEO_TS folder instead, and burn manually afterwards, or, you can always "unpack" the .iso file into a VIDEO_TS folder with 7zip. I don't have PowerDVD, but shouldn't it be able to play an .iso file??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Install ImgBurn first.
    Thanks. Extracting the downloaded .rar file gives an .exe file (nothing else). Running the .exe file doesn't install anything, just makes the DVDShrink UI appear. So is it to be run in that fashion, just as a standalone .exe, without the other files which usually accompany a proper installation of DVDShrink?
    There is no setup with DVDShrink ... make a folder in the Program Files folder ... call it ... DVD Shrink.

Put the DVDShrink execute in there ... do right-click with mouse and make a Shortcut ... call it ... DVD Shrink.

Copy that shortcut to a place where you want it to be for easy access.

Install the Imgburn program ... that program does need to be installed ... and setup correctly.

You then fire up Imgburn and select what DVD Burner to use and what speed to burn DVD Disks at. You can then close it.

Then you can use DVDShrink ... and go on from there ...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lacywest
    There is no setup with DVDShrink ...
    No, that's wrong. DVD Shrink is installed (at least the Videohelp "direct download" is installed). ANd then you need the separate DVDShrink-w/imgburn download, which ISN'T a setup file, however like I said before you drag that exe over to your installed DVDShrink folder (in Program Files) and replace the one already there.

Before all this, of course, you should install ImgBurn.

To counter some of the critical comments above, I find it extremely handy to set off DVD Shrink and go off and come back to a burnt DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The big deal is that various people have been mentioning the Shrink-ImgBurn version as a neato solution
    Nobody in this thread.
    that there were no readily available instructions for it.
    Because it was never popular or really necessary?
    ImgBurn isn't easy to understand, authored with a mischievous sense of humor.
    So you understand DVDShrink and not ImgBurn?

Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The big deal is that various people have been mentioning the Shrink-ImgBurn version as a neato solution
    Nobody in this thread.
    Well I think DVDShrink w/Imgburn is a cool mod, like I said before, it folds two steps (no, not just two "mouse clicks" as mentioned above) into one. "Big deal", I hear you say. Well you're right, it's not a big deal. But I like it!

ImgBurn CAN be confronting for a newb - just look at all the settings! Fortunately for all of us, ImgBurn's default settings are highly optimized so we don't have to really touch anything.
    Quote Quote  
  25. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Nobody in this thread.
    I believe there are several advocates here, and I've been seeing it recommended in other threads recently.

I don't know. I guess nobody thought it was necessary.

I'm close to a Master with Shrink. But I just nibble around the edges with the highly technical ImgBurn, and only learn what I need to know.

Yes, this simplified entry to ImgBurn helps considerably, but I still enounter some strange things whenever I try to do anything new. It's as if the author has intentionally set some traps for the user, then enjoys making fun of the user for his/her ignorance. For example it would be perfectly feasible to automatically enter a random disc name and not require user to do so in each case. Failing to enter a disc name gets a cryptic message the first time, then none thereafter, resulting in a failed burn. Who really understands all of that UDF stuff anyway, or cares?
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    However I'm not familiar with the DVDShrink-Imgburn version which apparently has no guide nor instructions.
    Depends on the package of this you download. I think I went through 3 or 4 of them from different places, rejecting those that just had the bare .Exe, settling for the one that had at least some minimal instructions, which proved sufficient for me.

Originally Posted by Kerry56
    This is the version of Shrink I have been using, though I never actually burn automatically with ImgBurn.
    I do -- transparently -- just as I did with the standard version. Pretty sure it's been a just-walk-away kind of deal, no messing around with ISO files. But, it's been awhile . . . . Probably had to reset some defaults for this. I'll try to pay more attention to what's going on, the next time I go to use this.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    actually most people around here would probably advise against doing the
    dvdshrink->imgburn routine.

why you ask? simple. if you re-author in dvdshrink and let it create the iso, you
    have no 32k padding. if you make video_ts folder, then start imgburn and build the iso to burn, you do.

read up on 32k padding
    http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/third_party/blutach/Burning%20With%20PgcEdit.htm
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lawbringer View Post

6. Select Target Device,

Thanks PacMan!!

Happy Burning!
    I have read all through this thread, and, while I can copy and burn the DVD in question, I am not able to combine the Shrink and ImgBurn functions. I downloaded the RAR mentioned earlier, used PeaZip to extract the DVD Shrink 3.2_w_IB exe file (BTW, when I dragged the .exe file to the DVDShrink folder, the filename was DVD Shrink 3.2, NOT DVD Shrink 3.2_w_IB.exe. I was asked to replace the original DVD Shrink 3.2.exe filename with DVD Shrink 3.2.exe(2).

After doing all that, and after letting Shrink do its thing, I still have to open ImgBurn and burn the ISO file, separately.

What else to I need to do to make this a seamless operation?

Thanks for any comments/help.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TerryE40 View Post
    (BTW, when I dragged the .exe file to the DVDShrink folder, the filename was DVD Shrink 3.2, NOT DVD Shrink 3.2_w_IB.exe. I was asked to replace the original DVD Shrink 3.2.exe filename with DVD Shrink 3.2.exe(2).
    It is supposed to be named the same and overwrite the original.

Also another thing i remember from years past, you must have your burning software installed BEFORE installing DVDShrink for it to see the burning software installed, nero, dvddecrypter.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shrink.jpg
Views:	4793
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	3410
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I didn't overwrite the original file; I chose the option of bringing in the replacement DVDShrink file as a (2), and I then moved the original file out of the folder (just being cautious in case I decided I needed the original file), but I forgot to get rid of the (2) on the filename... dumb me! Doing that fixed the problem, I am now able to select the "ISO Image File and burn with ImgBurn" option.

Sometimes you get tripped up by the simplest things... Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Quote