VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I just installed Nero 9 and I am using DVD Shrink. After I analyze and go to "select backup target", it only has "ISO Image File" and "Hard Disk Folder". It usually lets me select the dvd drive to burn to. It says "to enable burning, please install Nero" But I have installed it so not sure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink requires an older version of Nero (can't remember which - at least v6 or older?). It won't recognize the newer versions of Nero.

However, there is a version that's been modified to use Imgburn, rather than Nero, though I couldn't tell you where to find it. It'll probably turn up in a forum search.

You could also use Nero Recode, or DVD Rebuilder.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Ai, how do you know Nero 9 doesnt support DVD Shrink?

Does Nero Recode allow you to do the same things as DVD Shrink, like remove foreign languages, remove foreign subtitles, custom, and burn to DVD-R??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's been stated on the forums in the past.

I personally haven't tried Recode, but it's supposedly the 'successor' to Shrink, and is actually written by DVD Shrink's author.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jyeh74
    I just installed Nero 9 and I am using DVD Shrink. After I analyze and go to "select backup target", it only has "ISO Image File" and "Hard Disk Folder". It usually lets me select the dvd drive to burn to. It says "to enable burning, please install Nero" But I have installed it so not sure.
    A side question- If I selected "Hard Disk Folder" in DVD Shrink, it burns the VSO files to a folder I select on my computer. But what happens if I select "ISO Image File"? I remember when I selected the "ISO Image File", it did not allow me to find my own folder to save to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jyeh74
    I just installed Nero 9 and I am using DVD Shrink. After I analyze and go to "select backup target", it only has "ISO Image File" and "Hard Disk Folder". It usually lets me select the dvd drive to burn to. It says "to enable burning, please install Nero" But I have installed it so not sure.
    A side question- If I selected "Hard Disk Folder" in DVD Shrink, it burns the VSO files to a folder I select on my computer. But what happens if I select "ISO Image File"? I remember when I selected the "ISO Image File", it did not allow me to find my own folder to save to.
    I think you have a typo ... VSO is associated with ConvertXtoDVD

Make sure you have imgburn installed, uninstall the version of shrink you currently have and then install this version in it's place.

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/DVD_Shrink_3_2_b_w_IB.zip

This version uses imgburn to autoburn the created ISO to DVD

Link works ... I just now ... downloaded it ... to see if it works.

Merry Christmas
    Quote Quote  
  7. However, there is a version that's been modified to use Imgburn, rather than Nero, though I couldn't tell you where to find it. It'll probably turn up in a forum search.

Doesnt DVD Shrink allow you to chooseyour choice of burning sw, like Nero or Imgburn? Or are tere different versions of DVD Shrink out there?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I remember correctly (haven't used Shrink in a while (only because I haven't done any work with DVDs in a while)) you can output to an ISO in Shrink, and burn that with the burning software of your choice.

Shrink is hard-coded for Nero, however (and likely why it doesn't recognize the newer versions of Nero - they probably changed some directories/filenames), and doesn't give you a choice, if you want to do a direct burn. The version that uses Imgburn was modified by someone other than Shrink's author.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    An ISO is an ISO. Create an ISO with Shrink, save it to your desktop, drag & drop it into IMGBURN and burn it. Done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    However, there is a version that's been modified to use Imgburn, rather than Nero, though I couldn't tell you where to find it.
    http://download3.videohelp.com/DVDShrink32_w_ImgBurn.rar
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi everyone, I just installed the DVD Shrink with Imgburn! Thanks for all the help even on XMas day.

Sorry I'm not too familiar with how ISOs or DVD burning works. I typically just use the old DVD Shrink 3.2 with Nero burning option to first "open disc" to analyze the DVD movie, then I will remove all the foreign languages and foreign subtitles (increasing the quality). Then I will "select backup target". This is where I was getting the problem with Nero 9 (previous Nero 6.6 will automatically burn with DVD Shrink) But since I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium, Nero 6.6 is not compatible with Windows 7. So I have to use Nero 9, but I am finding out from these forums that Nero 9 does not work with DVD Shrink, as DVD Shrink is old. So previously, on my Windows XP computer with DVD Shrink and Nero 6.6, I will "select backup target" and it will have my 2 DVD-RW as options to choose from, to burn with Nero. With one click, it encodes, and burns with Nero 6.6 onto my DVD-R disc.

Now with the new recommended DVD Shrink and Imgburn just installed, if I select "ISO Image File and burn with Imgburn", will it encode the movie and then automatically burn it onto my DVD-R disc? How does it know which of my 2 DVDRW drives to burn with? (as there is no option to choose in DVD Shrink like there was previously with Nero burning option)

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Remember that ImgBurn is also a stand alone program. The preferences can be set there and when Shrink uses it, it can use those preferences, such as default burner. You just need to put a blank disk in the selected drive, run DVD Shrink, and it will burn automatically. If there isn't a disc in the selected drive, ImgBurn will tell you.

I've used the combination of DVDFAB/AnyDVD>DVD Shrink>ImgBurn for a several years and it works very well. Shrink and ImgBurn can handle many older DVDs without a external decrptyter.

I haven't used Nero since V7 and I don't miss it at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All you have to do is let DVDShrink do it's job outputting either a VIDEO_TS folder or a ISO file (and you can select where you want your ISO file), then use whatever burning program you like. Like a few of the other forums members I haven't used Nero in years and much prefer to shrink the DVD to a hard disk location first. It also gives one the option to edit the IFO file before burning if you have any aspect ratio issues like a 4:3 movie contained within a 16:9 frame typical of some digital tv systems etc.. good luck
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes ... Redwudz is correct ... if you plan on using Imgburn ... with DVDShrink ... fire up Imgburn and do your preferences ... burn speed and such and then close Imgburn and then fire up DVDShrink and when DVDShrink is done processing ... Imgburn takes over.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Can you make changes to the iso file in DVD Fab HD Decrypter, like you can in DVD Shrink? I always like to take out the extra langugaes/subtitles to increase quality.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Imgburn--> Tools ---> Settings ---> ?? where is speed settings?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ImgBurn-->Mode-->Write

Speed settings to the right of the big WRITE button near the centre
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone who uses DVD Shrink and/or Nero (this does NOT apply to burning ISOs with Nero, but it does apply if you burn DVD format in Nero by dragging and dropping the VOBs, IFOs and BUPs) needs to be aware of something. DVD Shrink and Nero both put the IFO and BUP in the same sector. What this means is that if that sector goes bad, your entire DVD is toast. BUPs and IFOs are supposed to be in different sectors so that if one of them is lost due to a bad sector, the other will take over and the disc remains playable. DVD specs do not enforce that they be in separate sectors, so DVD Shrink and Nero don't do that. Here is an explanation

http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/pgcedit_guide/burning_with_pgcedit/burning_with...pgcedit_v2.htm

It is possible to use something like PgcEdit to create your ISOs and put the BUPs and IFOs in different sectors. The whole reason that BUPs exist is to provide an emergency backup in case the orignal IFOs get hosed and to make it so that now a single point of failure can take out both is incredibly stupid.

I don't want to oversell this and the odds are highly in your favor that even if you burn with the BUPs and IFOs in the same sectors that you won't ever have a problem with this, but if you have the 1 in 100 (or whatever) disc that does actually have a bad sector and it's the sector that both a BUP and IFO use, well, your disc is toast and it didn't need to be.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I just realized that I should explain something I said previously. What I mean that this does not apply if you use Nero to burn ISOs is that Nero makes no changes to ISOs. However, if DVD Shrink created the ISO then it will put the BUPs and IFOs in the same sector in the ISO and whatever you use to burn it, be it Nero or ImgBurn, you'll still have the problem. What I meant to say and did not say clearly is that Nero doesn't do anything good or bad to ISOs. It just burns them as they are.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using the "IB"-modded version of Shrink successfully for awhile now, which I was not previously able to do, and still cannot do on the older computers. Just a reminder: it requires XP (don't know how well it works with Vista or 7, since I don't use them), and won't work with W2K or anything earlier.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jman98
    Anyone who uses DVD Shrink and/or Nero (this does NOT apply to burning ISOs with Nero, but it does apply if you burn DVD format in Nero by dragging and dropping the VOBs, IFOs and BUPs) needs to be aware of something. DVD Shrink and Nero both put the IFO and BUP in the same sector. What this means is that if that sector goes bad, your entire DVD is toast. BUPs and IFOs are supposed to be in different sectors so that if one of them is lost due to a bad sector, the other will take over and the disc remains playable. DVD specs do not enforce that they be in separate sectors, so DVD Shrink and Nero don't do that. Here is an explanation

http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/pgcedit_guide/burning_with_pgcedit/burning_with...pgcedit_v2.htm

It is possible to use something like PgcEdit to create your ISOs and put the BUPs and IFOs in different sectors. The whole reason that BUPs exist is to provide an emergency backup in case the orignal IFOs get hosed and to make it so that now a single point of failure can take out both is incredibly stupid.

I don't want to oversell this and the odds are highly in your favor that even if you burn with the BUPs and IFOs in the same sectors that you won't ever have a problem with this, but if you have the 1 in 100 (or whatever) disc that does actually have a bad sector and it's the sector that both a BUP and IFO use, well, your disc is toast and it didn't need to be.
    The speed for WRITE is set as AWS. What does "AWS mean?
    The speed for READ is set as MAX / 8x. I dont understand what it means to have a speed / speed (i.e. max / 8x means?)
    Quote Quote  
  22. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AWS= Automatic Write Speed. Explanation from Lightning UK!: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4249
    Read speed= If you set it at MAX the drive will still run at it's best speed. No reason to mess with the default settings with this, though.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by CobraPilot
    DVD Shrink will work with Nero 7.x.
    So when I use DVD Shrink to analyze and encode, it will open Imgburn afterwards but doesn't automatically burn it. How do I set it so it does? That way, I can open DVD Shrink, leave my computer and it will automatically use Imgburn to finish the job when I return.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by netmask56
    All you have to do is let DVDShrink do it's job outputting either a VIDEO_TS folder or a ISO file (and you can select where you want your ISO file), then use whatever burning program you like. Like a few of the other forums members I haven't used Nero in years and much prefer to shrink the DVD to a hard disk location first. It also gives one the option to edit the IFO file before burning if you have any aspect ratio issues like a 4:3 movie contained within a 16:9 frame typical of some digital tv systems etc.. good luck
    What is the difference between the stuff in a VIDEO_TS folder and an ISO file? Before, I used to just encode the movie to a VIDEO_TS folder on my hard drive, then use Nero 6 to burn it onto a DVD-R. Now with Win 7, I cannot use Nero 9 with DVD Shrink, so must use Imgburn. If I copy to my hard drive as a ISO file, then burn with Imgburn, is the output the same? Just want to burn a movie from dvd to dvd-r. I'm not sure I understand the output difference between an ISO and a VIDEO TS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    set output to save as ISO image in DVDSHRINK.
    difference is just the file format> ISO vs VIDEO TS folder. IMGBURN can burn both file formats.
    Quote Quote  
  26. hi budz, yes, I have set output in DVD Shrink as ISO Image, then I use Imgburn to burn it. I was just wondering what the difference in file format means in layman's terms. I did some research but was not sure.

Can someone explain the difference? Both file formats will run on my ps3 and laptop no problem, so why have two difference formats?

I guess my question is why does DVD Shrink have 3 options to backup DVD?
    1) ISO image file and burn with Imgburn
    2) Burn with Nero (not sure if Nero burns as a different video file)
    3) create DVD files

I used to do #2 and that has worked fine. Now I have to do #1 since Nero does not work with Windows 7, so I use Imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As DVDShrink works, it can do a number of things with the new VOB files it's generating:

1) just write them out to hard disk (your option 3)
    2) add boot sectors, directory sectors, etc and write the whole thing into a single ISO file (your option 1)
    3) generate the ISO data as above, and then automatically tell NERO to burn the file. Afterwards, delete it to clean up

Trevor
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1) Whether you output an ISO Image or DVD Folders to...SOMEWHERE ON YOUR COMPUTER....
    2) ImgBurn will burn it correctly for you.
    End Of Story.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    set output to save as ISO image in DVDSHRINK.
    difference is just the file format> ISO vs VIDEO TS folder. IMGBURN can burn both file formats.
    Go ahead and shoot this down on a technical basis if I'm wrong (which I very possibly am ), but couldn't the ISO version be thought of -- at least rather loosely -- as the disc / video equivalent of a Rar or Zip archive, minus any compression ? And you don't have to "un-zip" it, but you would need something like an ISO editor to view the contents in a comprehensible manner.

Anyway, that is what I took away from a very limited amount of working with other sorts of ISO disk images.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote