VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Need some help and I want to get this correct before I start creating DVD's

I want to pull the DATA from the DVD (I have ISO Buster and IMTOOripper)

Import the data in to Movie Edit Pro 15, I want the Audio and Video to be in Sync.

Do the edits and than transfer back to DVD.

I want the picture cropping to be the same as the DVD that I ripped the files, and I would like the quality to also be the same. (Every DVD is around 2 hours)

What do I need to do? How should I rip the DVD? Once I get the files in to Movie Edit, how should I save them. How do I save the Files and to what formats?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If this is a home made DVD (i.e. no copy protection) then you can use VOB2MPG to rip the video and audio directly from the disc to an MPG file on your HDD, ready for loading into your editor (assuming it handles mpeg video, of course). There will be no quality loss, as there is no conversion, only repackaging from one container format to another.

If the DVDs are copy protected then you will need to use something like DVDFab HD Decrypter (free) to rip the DVD to your HDD, then use VOB2MPG to extract the video and audio to an MPG file.

As for outputting the results - see What is DVD (top left corner) for details on the DVD specs that you will have to meet.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the Deal with the MPG file, how do u save it crop it ect. You can save it to many different formats...what about 4:3 and 16:9 ratios
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Deter
    Here is the Deal with the MPG file, how do u save it crop it ect. You can save it to many different formats...what about 4:3 and 16:9 ratios
    guns1inger already told you how to get it to the hard drive. Once you crop it you have to resize and reencode it. Once you reencode it, no longer will the quality be the same. You're not making any sense.

How do you do these things? I use AviSynth. I filter in that and then reencode using an MPEG-2 encoder.
    what about 4:3 and 16:9 ratios
    What about them? Reencode it to the same DAR as the source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You use an editor to do these things. Avisynth, virtualdub, AVI Demux are all capable and free, however you have said you have Movie Edit Pro 15, so use that. That is, after all, what it is designed to do.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Guys I have the ISO Buster program, it pulls all the data really fast. The best thing it can pull data off of a damaged or bad disk. I can do Mpeg files in that program.

I am worried about full screen formats and ratio issues (The Bloody Picture Size).

Than the quality issue........

I croped a few videos before I ripped them, than put them back on DVD and the picture size was a tad different. Again it is all about the details, they have to be perfect matches.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ISOBuster is not for ripping DVDs. It is for ripping data from a damaged disc or making image copies of discs. You are working with video, so forget working in the data space and starting thinking in the video space.

Aspect ratio is simply a flag in the video stream that tells playback devices which way to display the video. Again, read "What is DVD" to get an understanding of the basic specs. You are in the US, so your format is most likely NTSC. Therefore your video will most likely be 720 x 480, whether it is 16:9 or 4:3. Again, your editor should take care of most of this for you.

What sort of cropping are you doing, and why ?

You cannot crop a video before you rip it. Until you rip it, it is fixed on the DVD. Ripping is the process of getting it off the DVD.

Do not use ISOBuster unless the disc is damaged. If it is, get the original format onto your HDD (i.e. video_TS folder) then use VOB2MPG to get the video. Use MediaInfo to determine if the Aspect Ratio is correct, and if not, change it with DVD Patcher. Then edit.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I followed what you wrote, pulled the files, however these are old VHS tapes put on DVD and when they get put back on to DVD using the sony DVD arch, the picture has motion issues and you can see the blocks in the picture more than before. How do u fix this.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Deter
    I followed what you wrote, pulled the files, however these are old VHS tapes put on DVD and when they get put back on to DVD using the sony DVD arch, the picture has motion issues and you can see the blocks in the picture more than before. How do u fix this.
    If the output is different from the source then it was reencoded. However, depending on the kind of editing you're doing, there shouldn't be any reencoding, except perhaps around keyframes. Maybe you want something like Womble's MPEG Video Wizard or MPEG Video Wizard DVD, or Video ReDo. There are others, including some free ones to do what you want, depending on exactly what it is you want to do with those files.

If you want to filter them to try and improve the picture quality, then you'll have to reencode the video. The output quality will be determined by your filtering and encoding skills and the quality of the encoder you use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I was able to take some of the feeback in this post to help with this video project that I am working on. VOB2MPG, it pretty good and fast.
    Quote Quote