VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I got a PHilips DVP 5990/37X DVD player, and hooked the HDMI cable to my TV and set HDMI sound "ON" in the DVD Setup Menu, but all I hear is a buzz, while video comes out perfectly.

I tried updating firmware and made sure it was not the TV (tried swapping out HDMI cables, TV inputs, TV seems to be fine with HDMI from other devices). Finally, gave up and called Philips and they sent me another refurbished one. THis one has the same problem.

I don't know if I got stuck with a lemon twice in a row, but if someone can offer any hints to try, I will appreciate it.

For whatever reason, DivX discs seem to give HDMI sound, but normal DVDs from Netflix/BBuster don't. I have made it region free using instructions in this forum, so that's not the issue either.

I have a Wsstinghouse 40" television to which I have hooked this player..

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just setting mine up now and having the same problem. I didn't even do a region-free hack, just hooked up HDMI and no sound, but beautiful picture. Am I missing something in the setup? Normally these things work right out of the box.

I should say I'm watching on a 40" Samsung A550.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, it wasn't a tough problem to solve.

On the remote, press the "setup" button. Scroll right once to the speaker/volume icon ("Audio Setup Page"). Scroll down to "HDMI Audio." Press the right arrow once, select "on" and then exit out. Problem solved!

It's a little insane that Philips CS couldn't help you with that problem. It certainly isn't intuitive, but you'd think they'd have answered similar calls. They're just wasting their money (and the money of customers and stockholders) by shipping out refurbs over a problem easily solved by making a menu selection.

For the life of me I don't know why this setting isn't turned on right from the factory... perhaps Philips expects that most people use the analog audio out and don't run the HDMI audio to their TV. That would be a false assumption, I think. Or maybe something in the refurb process turns it off. Don't get me wrong, I like the option.
    Quote Quote