VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread

CPU

Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been on here asking about which paste to use and stuff but I need to ask something else now..

I got a new AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz and want to know if it will really make much of a difference if I risk removing the stock paste and using ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound or just leave it as is??

I do game and my computer is on quite a bit, I also may overclock it. I just don't really know if all the work and risk of damage is worth it. Also based on the fact it will be my first CPU install.

Please give me some feed back, it arrives in the mail tomorrow.. THANKS!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe. a new chip shouldn't have any grease on it, so you can use whatever you want. if you are re-using a hsf then definitely remove all old compound with rubbing alcohol. it only works once. not sure of your situation. but the best solution is good grease and a highly rated heat-sink-fan combo, not the stock one that comes with retail cpus.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you aren't gonna overclock then leave on the paste that comes preapplied,it will be good enough,if you are gonna oc then get a better hsf and arctic mx-2 paste.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok, thanks. if anyone thinks differently than let me know i'll keep checking back just to be sure.

I have some rubbing alcohol and have looked up on how to rub the paste so wish me luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    by the way johns, you've been a lot of help on my posts.. Thanks!

I'm ordering that paste now! pretty cheap on Newegg
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Good to hear.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMHO remove the thermal paste that's on the cpu/stock hsf. I never use the stock thermal paste on any brand new cpu. I use MX-2 on all the builds that I do. If you're thinking of overclocking in the future then buy a aftermarket heatsink fan. That way you can have a good aftermarket cpu hsf from the very beginning then if you decide on overclocking you won't have to remove the cpu from the mobo for a second time. I don't like using stock heatsink fans since they're aren't good coolers for even stock speed.
    Just my freaking 2 cents!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you and me both budz, hate the stock fans, I have a pretty nifty fan that does the job.
    Quote Quote