VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I cannot located the RUN button on Windows 7. On Windows XP, it is right below the Search under START menu.

I am looking for a particular path
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero

On Windows XP, I can open up any folder and put that path on the top and it will take me there, but on Windows 7, if I copy and paste that path, it states that Windows cannot find and to check the spelling. Anyone can help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right click the start button > then start menu tab > customize > scroll down > check box for "run command" > apply > ok ... done
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks BJs

For some reason, it will not find the path
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\AdvrCntr4

I did a manual look and apparently there are two "program file" folders. I do not know why windows does this

1) Program Files
    2) Program Files (x86)

1) contains Windows stuff, DVD maker, common files, internet explorer, java
    2) contains most of my downloaded programs like AIM, DVD Shrink, java (again), internet explorer (again), MSFT Office, winamp, utorrent

Am I suppose to move everything under one "program file" foler?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Program Files is for 64 bit programs.
    Program Files (x86) is for 32 bit programs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In other words, no, don't move anything.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Program Files (x86) = legacy application support (32bit)

True, don't move anything between those folders ... if a program has found itself having been installed under 64 and is not 64bit then it should be uninstalled correctly and when reinstalling you should select the Program Files (x86) as the default install location

This is where it should be

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nero\AdvrCntr4
    Quote Quote  
  7. It doesn't really matter which folder is used. If the installer is hardcoded for 'Program Files' then that's where it ends up. If it uses an expandable token then Windows will take care of it. There's no advantage/risk to putting 32-bit in 64-bit and vice versa. Where it is a big no-no is System32 (which is really 64-bit) and the 32-bit equivalent. The fact that System32 is for 64-bit system files etc is confusing to say the least.

EDIT - and ferreting around in the registry can be a bit more risky, too.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt) and while still holding it down press R
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote