VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Below is a general picture of what my card reader looks like. Unfortunately, it does not fit the case I have now like my old case. The holes and such don't match up. I wired the wholes into place so it wouldn't move instead.

The wire doesn't reach the USB port on the motherboard from where it sits in the new tower so I bought an extension of the wire. Now it won't do anything.

Does it matter what 3 or 4 prongs you plug it into on the USB port to get power to it?

SmileSmile
    Quote Quote  
  2. And the motherboard just in case....

SmileSmile
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by beavereater
    Does it matter what 3 or 4 prongs you plug it into on the USB port to get power to it?
    Yes. Plug it in wrong and you could short out your power supply. Most of those USB MB connectors are keyed. But you would need to check that your card reader uses the same pattern. Not all do, especially when using an extension cable.

The main concern is plugging the ground terminal into the power terminal. If you're lucky, the PS will just shut down. If not, the PS may blow. These are the USB pin assignments. If the cable is color coded properly, this might give you some hints. Check your MB wiring diagram to see what pins it uses compared to your cable.

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by redwudz
    Originally Posted by beavereater
    Yes. Plug it in wrong and you could short out your power supply. Most of those USB MB connectors are keyed. But you would need to check that your card reader uses the same pattern. Not all do, especially when using an extension cable.

The main concern is plugging the ground terminal into the power terminal. If you're lucky, the PS will just shut down. If not, the PS may blow. These are the USB pin assignments. If the cable is color coded properly, this might give you some hints. Check your MB wiring diagram to see what pins it uses compared to your cable.

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
    Thanks.

I read it, did it. Still the reader isn't reading the cards. No light is coming on. Does it matter if it's the front 4 prongs or the back 4(Out of 5) prongs?
    SmileSmile
    Quote Quote