VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know with the new Windows 7, you must register your product key either online or call on the phone or the OS crashes in 30 days. XP was not like that.

Is Vista like that too?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope

ALL ... xp, vista and windows 7 have 30 days to register before they lock down and force activation

As for xp if I recall some issues with pre service pack 1 oems had "skip" activation after install ... they pass all the requirements but getting updates manually is a 50 / 50

These needed the oobe key in the registry modified before activation succeeds ... just the last two values adjusted
    Quote Quote  
  3. thats strange. I currently have XP with SP2 but it does not require me to register online. It hasnt shut down yet.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jyeh74
    thats strange. I currently have XP with SP2 but it does not require me to register online. It hasnt shut down yet.
    How did you obtain XP?
    Bjs is correct you have to activate the OS within 30 days, registration is not necessary:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890
    Quote Quote  
  5. i bought a copy, installed it with the key registration. But it never asked me to activate via online or phone.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It did it automatically after you entered the key during installation.
    Quote Quote  
  7. oh, so it does it automatically aftter I enter the 25 character digit keys?

Interesting because Office 2007, after I install it and enter the keys, it asks m to go online or call in by phone to "activate" it, otherwise it shuts down after 24, 23, 22, 21...etc times of using it.

The XP does not do the same thing??
    Quote Quote  
  8. Where I am confused, is how the Office 2007 requires you to "activate" online or call in by phone after you have installed it on your computer using the 25 key code.

The Windows XP, however, does not require you to go online or call in by phone to "activate" it after you have installed it on your computer using the 25 key code.
    Quote Quote