VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've searched the forums and could not find the answer to this problem, I'm sorry if I missed the answer somewhere. I've tried all day to figure this out and it's driving me crazy.

Ok so here is the situation, my PS3 and 360 will not play the new dvdr I burned today. The dvdr works perfectly in the regular dvd player though. The 360 just goes to black screen and the ps3 gives me this error number that I looked up:
    80029946 - Attempting to play burnt Dual layer NTSC disc on a PAL ps3 ( workarounds is to transfer files to ps3 via TVersity )
    Which is totally wrong because first of all it's not a dual layer and second of all my ps3 isn't PAL.

I have burned this disc three times, first time was max speed on DVD decryptor, second time was 4x speed on DVD decryptor, and third time was 4x speed on ImgBurn. Still no go. I even go back and check everything and nothing says pal, and the original discs play fine in the systems.

So I pop in older dvdrs that I know have worked before and it will play fine on the 360 but on the PS3 it says:
    Video in the PAL broadcast standard is not supported.
    Specifics on what I'm working with:
    Windows 7 64bit 6GB Ram
    Dvd Decryptor
    ImgBurn
    DVD Shrink 3.2
    80 GB PS3 that came bundled with Metal Gear Solid 4, Updated to latest version
    Black Xbox 360 Elite, Updated to latest version
    Ritek/Ridata 8x 4.7GB dvdr
    Original discs are My Name is Earl Season 1
    My dvd player that all play fine on - Philips DVP 5140

Older dvdrs that I tried were burned on dvd decryptor on WinXP 32bit with the same Ritek/Ridata discs if this makes any difference.

Did they update the consoles to only play DVDs with encryption or something that I've missed? Thanks for any help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lace
    So I pop in older dvdrs that I know have worked before and it will play fine on the 360 but on the PS3 it says:
    Quote:
    Video in the PAL broadcast standard is not supported.
    that is correct. The xbox 360 will play region free pal dvds and the ps3 will not. I have both and have just recently tested them (I'm in the US with NTSC ps3 and 360).

The xbox 360 will play even original pal dvds as long as they are region free. If they are region locked they will need to be ripped and burnt to a new disc to play on the 360. No other conversion necessary.

The ps3 will not play a pal dvd of any type, original or burnt. You will need to convert to ntsc to playback on the ps3. Or try streaming from your computer to the ps3. I don't know if it will accept pal over a stream or not.

Oh and both consoles do play burnt discs no problem as long as they meet the dvd standards and the supported video codecs. If they are off spec they might not play or play with poor performance.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

If you have a slightly different issue I am missing please elaborate. Also you can always try another brand of blank disc to see if it might be a bad batch.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you yoda313, that solves part of the puzzle with the older dvdrs. And thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking around awhile and could always find the solution to my problem until this one.

These new ones that won't play at all on either system are ripped from NTSC discs, all I did was take them off with dvd decryptor into a Video TS folder, then took DVD Shrink to shrink them down to fit on a 4.7 GB disc and had DVD Shrink turn it into an iso and then burned it with ImgBurn. The only thing I took off the disc in DVD Shrink was the non-English subtitles by unchecking them. The disc plays fine on the computer and fine on the Philips dvd player.

I've done this same process many times and they'd always play fine on both machines which is why I'm now confused. I don't have a regular dvd player in the living room so as long as I can get this problem worked out on one of the systems, I'll be all set.

EDIT: Well it seems the problem was in my burner, when I upgraded my whole computer a few weeks ago I forgot to take out my Pioneer dvd burner so my husband had it in his computer. It's so strange that the brand of burner makes so much difference, everything is working right now.
    Quote Quote