VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Planning on doing some major organization and data protection activities soon. I was thinking about getting a wireless NAS and hiding it in the attic. Then I discovered that there aren't a lot of wireless NAS devices available and it can get both very hot and very cold in the attic. So the next option I am thinking about is data encryption. If I keep the NAS in the office, and it gets stolen, is there a way to encrypt the data so that when whomever connects and tries to use the device again, they won't be able to see the data on the drive(s)? I would of course have an offsite backup in place ahead of time..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_disk_encryption
    TrueCrypt is well-regarded, and free.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, well maybe not even actual data encryption, but just something that might exist so that if someone steals it, when they turn it back on, there's something like a password, etc that has to be entered before any data can be accessed...?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sdsumike619
    Hmm, well maybe not even actual data encryption, but just something that might exist so that if someone steals it, when they turn it back on, there's something like a password, etc that has to be entered before any data can be accessed...?
    Those are trivial to crack.
    You just plug the drive in as a slave and access the data directly.

Whole disk encryption works like a device driver, after you do the password it just acts like an ordinary disk.
    Again, try TrueCrypt. http://www.truecrypt.org/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that truecrypt looks pretty confusing unless you're really "into it"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can't invest 30 minutes reading the manual, best to forget about it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sdsumike619
    that truecrypt looks pretty confusing unless you're really "into it"
    Actually, it's not terribly difficult to set up for basic disk encryption, but yes, it also has a lot of features for the advanced user.

Start with the "Beginner's Tutorial" - http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=tutorial - 19 steps over 5 pages.

(I use the "Traveler Disk" feature to encrypt one of my USB keys; haven't yet used it on a hard disc.)
    Quote Quote