VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by MJA
    imagine ron jeremy looks like on a 60' HD
    Whoa, no thanks. The thought of that beggars the imagination. I mean that literally, I can't quite get a visual on it, thank goodness. But I know it wouldn't be pretty.

Somebody famous once said something to the effect that squeamish people shouldn't ever see politics behind closed doors or go into a sausage factory. Some things you're better off not knowing. Or seeing.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'd rather play "Sonic The Hedgehog" on a 60" HDTV than watch the "Hedgehog" play with his sonic.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    Aw, please no! I can't get that image out of my head now. Must go to my happy place.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93
    Wow, if I were in the market for an HDTV, that Sony bundle would be really tempting. And the price is $300 bucks less than I paid one year ago for my Philips 47" 1080p, 120 Hz set. Just the set, no extras. :P

Like Ricoman says, go big. When I put the 42" plasma in my den I thought it was tremendously, overwhelmingly big. Now I wish I'd gone bigger. Same for the 47" in the living room.
    As predicted, prices have been dropping fast. You need to decide when to jump in.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    Okay, now I have that mental picture stuck in my mind..... ewwwwwwww!!!!

To OP: The link for the Panasonic 42 inch LCD TV has gotten good reviews at AVS Forums as well as on the Best Buy website. That model is only exclusively sold at Best Buy. I've yet to see any sort of defective issues with the Panasonic LCD TV line. Remember let your eyes do the deciding for you. Take a dvd disc along with you to the store and ask them to play it back so you can compare different models.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 40" Samsung LCD (A650) in the living room and a smaller 32" Panasonic (THLS10Z) in another room. Mostly I purchase Pannys (DVD recordr, last CRT set) because I have had a generally good experience with their products. Bought the Samsung because it was on sale a year ago, my CRT had died, and it reviewed well. Very happy with both of them, and would buy either brand again. The have lots of inputs, a great picture, and just generally work as intended.

I would not, however, touch a Sony. The Sony panels are the same as the Samsungs (same plant), but the Samsung has better electronic brains and costs less. I tried a Sony and equivalent Panny in the shop - it's fair to say that while they both handled HD material very well, the Samsung also handled SD material very well while, comparatively, the Sony choked - jerky picture that pixellated frequently. The Panny, which I got later, also handles both HD and SD well.

Also, my poor previous experience with Sony "service" in this country, their general pro-DRM attitude, and their downright contempt for their customers (*cough* rootkit, *cough*) means that I cannot bring myself to give them my money.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I've been focusing on brands that fit my budget. I just got myself out of debt because I splurged on things I couldn't afford. So, I've learned my fiscal lesson. The Panasonic is nice, but it's not close to my $450 budget. I could go a little bit hire, to about $500.

The only uses for the TV is watching: Blu-Ray, DVDs, and watching tv on my Comcast HD DVR.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by majax79
    I just got myself out of debt because I splurged on things I couldn't afford.
    Congrats. I'm about 4 months away from finally wiping out $50K in debt (mostly due to a couple of years of unemployment a while back).

The only uses for the TV is watching: Blu-Ray, DVDs, and watching tv on my Comcast HD DVR.
    Then, just to re-iterate what others have suggested, get the biggest screen you can afford. Make sure it has all the inputs you need.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If picture quality is important to you, then Panasonic, Sharp and Sony are the choices. The excellent Pioneer brand is priced ridiculously high. Toshiba, LG and Philips are generally good well-featured brands. Samsung sells many sets because their light engine has the brightest picture; however they also exhibit an uncorrectable poor to extremely poor contrast linearity. If you know what proper response to test signals looks like, then bring a test dvd to the showroom. If picture quality is not as important as price, then the bargain brands are fine for the undiscriminating viewer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by luigi2000
    If picture quality is important to you, then Panasonic, Sharp and Sony are the choices. The excellent Pioneer brand is priced ridiculously high. Toshiba, LG and Philips are generally good well-featured brands. Samsung sells many sets because their light engine has the brightest picture; however they also exhibit an uncorrectable poor to extremely poor contrast linearity. If you know what proper response to test signals looks like, then bring a test dvd to the showroom. If picture quality is not as important as price, then the bargain brands are fine for the undiscriminating viewer.
    Luigi, please provide references for those pronouncements. Few of us have that many HDTV sets to compare. Samsung has nine current models just for 40" size in the USA. Which models have you evaluated?
    http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/lcd-tv/index.idx?pagetype=subtype

Sharp has all these. I don't have time for this
    http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTVs.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by edDV
    Originally Posted by luigi2000
    Samsung sells many sets because their light engine has the brightest picture; however they also exhibit an uncorrectable poor to extremely poor contrast linearity.
    Luigi, please provide references for those pronouncements.
    See the transfer fuction graph in figure 3:
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2349239,00.asp

the Samsung unit initially falls more slowly, and is consistently above the Gamma 2.2 line down to about 20-percent intensity, and then it falls faster, probably for the same reasons as the Sharp.
    and from earlier in the article, regarding the Sharp:
    probably done intentionally to make the unit appear to have a deeper and blacker contrast
    I can see this on my 4665.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for all the information.

I've been reading a ton of reviews and trying to get together all the model numbers within the screen size. I'll post when I limit it to a few models.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Go Samsung, you won't regret it. If you weren't set on LCD, Wal-Mart of all places has a very good Plasma 50" (1080P) model for a little over $600. I bought the Samsung PN50A550 for $1400.00 the newer of the two, but if I had the money, I'd buy the WM model I think it was a PN50A450. Be nice to have it also.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    I would prefer to buy the TV from Wal-Mart as I get 10% off. I do know that Wal-mart isn't exactly known for top of the line electronics.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would prefer to buy the TV from Wal-Mart as I get 10% off. I do know that Wal-mart isn't exactly known for top of the line electronics.
    Remember you pay for what you get!
    Quote Quote  
  16. this the story will never end,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    anyways..
    my brother in law bought the sony bundle 2 days ago from BB.
    46"TV,PS3,game,movie,and 4 year warranty for plus TAX $1200 and some change
    he is going to sell the PS3,movie ,and the game for $300 to one of his friends
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good to know

If you don't have a recommendation then perhaps start your own thread.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by majax79

Good to know

is this a respond to budzs post ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA

Good to know

is this a respond to budzs post ?
    It's okay if it's a response to my previous post. I gave my opinions and whether or not anyone takes the suggestions don't matter to me. I just state my experiences.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I agree with you 100%
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    No, I was talking about your post(s) MJA.
    Quote Quote  
  22. whatever.enjoy your trashy Walmart TV

LAST POST
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I was talking about your post(s) MJA.
    Dunno why you're dissing him (MJA) and his post. He basically was sharing information on a good deal from Best Buy. There's no need to be rude. Good luck in getting any other assistance from members here if you're going to continue being a a-hole! No one is forcing you to buy what's been suggested. Remember you get what you pay for! Wally world's doesn't sell the best models and you better buy one of their warranty plans as you will prolly need it. Just my 2 freaking cents!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    I didn't diss him. I just don't want discussion of a $900 Sony bundle in my thread when I said I don't want Sony and I can only spend around $450 and the Sony bundle is around $900.

Trashy Walmart TV. I don't think that's trashy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    None the less you were rude....I'm gonna leave it at that....Good luck on getting your first LCD TV...Many good suggestions were made for you...BTW getting a 720 vs 1080 won't make a difference when watching Blu-ray when using a 32 inch LCD TV. You won't see a difference at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i bought a Samsung LE40B530 in august.
    would get it again anytime. really happy, although
    compared to a CRT, its got a slow remote response.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by T-Fish
    That is due to the digital tuner. A CRT with a digital tuner would be equally slow. ATSC/DVB/QAM decode has delay as the buffers fill.

You can see the difference tuning analog cable channels vs. digital QAM channels. You will also have a second to several second delay for digital vs analog versions of the same cable broadcast due to encoding/decoding delays through the chain.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by budz
    BTW getting a 720 vs 1080 won't make a difference when watching Blu-ray when using a 32 inch LCD TV. You won't see a difference at all.
    He will if he sits within about four feet from the TV.

Originally Posted by edDV
    That is due to the digital tuner. A CRT with a digital tuner would be equally slow. ATSC/DVB/QAM decode has delay as the buffers fill.
    Remember also that the TV can't really start displaying anything until an I frame comes around.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Originally Posted by T-Fish

You can see the difference tuning analog cable channels vs. digital QAM channels. You will also have a second to several second delay for digital vs analog versions of the same cable broadcast due to encoding/decoding delays through the chain.
    i didn't even think of that.
    i get ~50 analog channels and 300 digital ones over cable, which is why i bought a tv with an integrated DVB-C tuner (and dvb-t, but i dont use that).
    i just tested and it takes slightly longer zapping through digital channels vs. analog ones.
    thx for the info
    Quote Quote