VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Well, when a visitor enters the site, the first thing they see is some goofy poll....no offense
    That's quite valuable real estate being wasted asking if you've won the Irish Sweepstakes yet...
    I would suggest something video related...(doh)...a popular, controversial, member-created video perhaps...(fake!)....demonstrating some principle of video editing or somesuch...we could submit links and a new one could be displayed every week via simple php coding
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TJK1911
    I think the key here is the mistaken idea that the poll questions have to be new. Rather than trying to create new (irrelevant) poll questions, how about delving into the records and reposting old polls that have to do with our interests? And when showing results, show also the results of the original poll. This could be an interesting and possibly valuable illustration of changing attitudes and historical information.
    Actually we have done that on occasion and by request too. I remember someone asking to have a new updated "how old are you" poll tgpo had done years ago. So while I was an active poll mod I had done a new version. There are a few other examples. I think Baldrick recently revisted one of mine about do you still play audio cds.

We do revisit topics from time to time. And yes it is difficult to come up with new ideas on a weekly basis. That is why after a few years I had to step down from burnout.

Good luck on the polls Johns0!
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A suggestion:
    Add a link to the poll suggestion thread, above or underneath the current poll on the front page. It might help the new pollster.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Suggestion: kill the polls and increase the size of the recent threads in the righthand column. And/or move the guides section (which is also growing too much lately) from near the top left to the bottom right. And move the gaudy big commercial graphic from the top of the screen to the bottom. Those changes to the front page would be a big plus IMHO.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ha ha...so what do you get? a huge video ad

hums joni mitchell....
    Don't it always seem to go....that you don't know what you've got till it's goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    la la la la
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    [sarcasm]Oh yeah.... That new video add is soooo much better[/sarcasm]

Like another member said in another thread... I don't like the new front page... but it is your site and you can set it up any way you want.

I like the polls and prefer their former place on the front page. The ones I wasn't interested in I just moved on from and ignored.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I find the polls a nice diversion to see how other people do things and what they think,gives a bit of feeling that people hang around the place,not all of us have to vote or discuss or even like polls but you cant please everybody all the time.

For the people that think the categories are not good enough post some ideas that you think should be on the polls.You have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find the polls now,asking to remove them is like being a poll grinch.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never been much a fan of polls.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by tgpo
    Are you a fan of Poles?

not a fan of polls
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well i never minded the polls or where they were placed.

And yes the new ad does kind of suck being where the polls used to be, but hey, it's Baldricks site and he has to pay for it somehow.

All the people moaning and bitching about the "polls". seriously, get a life and find something better to moan & P!$$ about

For everyone moaning and bitching about the new "AD" & it's placement, exactly how much $$$$ have you donated to the site to keep it up all these years ??

NUFF SAID
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    For everyone moaning and bitching about the new "AD" & it's placement, exactly how much $$$$ have you donated to the site to keep it up all these years ??

NUFF SAID
    To be honest... none. Embarrassing? Yes. Am I proud of it? No. But I do click the adds at least two to three times a month. I figure that the quarter click through he's getting off the add is better than nothing.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    exactly how much $$$$ have you donated to the site to keep it up all these years ??
    NUFF SAID
    Sorry, I don't have 4 figures to donate, but Yes I have donated money before Mr. B started making money off the site. Not sure if it was under this nym or my first board nym

However, I said before, I really never go to the home page. I always go striaght to the forum idex

Now if we could only get rid of the ads at the bottom once we login

Hey maybe that could be a poll
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  13. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by stiltman
    Originally Posted by tgpo
    Are you a fan of Poles?

not a fan of polls
    Me neither. I hear they're melting. :P
    Quote Quote