VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, I seriously looked EVERYWHERE for this fix, the only one I came upon was open in virtual dub and manually blah blah blah. I can't do that, my avi file goes out of sync. What I do to get the avi file, is I capture computer gameplay. and It's not a specific program because I tried them all and the same thing happens, so I thought it has to do with some codecs. so in the output of the recording, in the beginning is fine. Than over time, once the video lags a bit, the video slows down but the audio doesnt. What is the fix to this? and if you're asking what I'm recording from, I'm recording computer games, whether it's a source game, or an EA game, same thing happens. This computer is practically clean, except for the xvid avi codec, and the basic stuff. please let me know what the problem could be.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The type of sync error you mention is usually caused by the audio and video being different lengths. You can drop one of your videos into MediaInfo or Gspot and post a screen shot of one of them to give us some idea of what you are dealing with.

What it sounds like is that your video has missing frames. But you can try demuxing out the audio with VD, or save it out as a WAV with full processing, then put it into Audacity and using the Tempo effect, shorten or lengthen it to match the video, then add it back in to replace the original audio. That's about as simple as it gets with this type of sync problem.

One question. Was it ever in sync? Or did the problem start when you did a conversion? If so, then the conversion method may be the problem. VBR audio is one common cause. The other is missing frames, as mentioned. Worst case, if the sync error varies during the playback you could have a combination of audio/video length errors and audio offset errors. Then it get fairly complicated to fix.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help, ill post a screen shot in a sec, but no I didn't convert it, it's the raw AVI file that's out of sync
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here it is, I don't know what I'm looking at though

here it is in text from the other program.

Code:
    General
    Complete name                    : S:\Fraps\iw3mp 2009-12-06 12-44-58-96.avi
    Format                           : AVI
    Format/Info                      : Audio Video Interleave
    File size                        : 3.91 GiB
    Duration                         : 9mn 40s
    Overall bit rate                 : 57.9 Mbps

Video
    Format                           : FRAPS
    Codec ID                         : FPS1
    Duration                         : 9mn 38s
    Bit rate                         : 56.4 Mbps
    Width                            : 512 pixels
    Height                           : 384 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 4:3
    Frame rate                       : 30.000 fps
    Resolution                       : 24 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 9.569
    Stream size                      : 3.80 GiB (97%)

Audio
    Format                           : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness      : Little
    Format settings, Sign            : Unsigned
    Codec ID                         : 1
    Codec ID/Hint                    : Microsoft
    Duration                         : 9mn 40s
    Bit rate mode                    : Constant
    Bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
    Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution                       : 16 bits
    Stream size                      : 106 MiB (3%)
    Interleave, duration             : 998 ms (29.94 video frames)
    Quote Quote  
  5. The duration of your audio & video are different. You probably have frame drops leading to shorter video length. Either get a faster computer, capture slower fps or smaller resolution, or dedicated capture card. It's likely that your current setup can't keep up with both playing the game and recording. What are your pc specs?

If they were the same length with just an offset you could probably use a +/- delay to fix it. This isn't the case here
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    The duration of your audio & video are different. You probably have frame drops leading to shorter video length. Either get a faster computer, capture slower fps or smaller resolution

What are your pc specs?

If they were the same length with just an offset you could probably use a +/- delay to fix it. This isn't the case here
    I actually have 1 TB hdd, 9800 gt 1gb nvidia video card, 4 gigs of ram, an x2 athlon 255 3.0 ghz cpu, and I capture at 30 fps, I don't think that would be the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You're right, that should be able to handle an SD capture without issues.

Try a different fraps version, either the newest, or roll back to an older one
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Try a different fraps version, either the newest, or roll back to an older one
    I actually figured this out with an older one, than upgraded hoping it will work, but even with the newest one it hasnt been in sync.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The different A/V lengths is highly suspicous of dropped frames. Make sure you don't have other processes concurrent when you play & record (.e.g doing a virus scan etc...)

You could try to stretch/shrink either the audio/video to match, but if this only works if there are no frame drops. It's nearly impossible to fix if you have random frame drops.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In the second screenshot, the video length is 9m 38s and the audio length is 9m 40s, a two second sync error. That looks like your problem. So the audio is running two seconds longer than the video. I would try shortening the audio and see if that corrects the error. If you have randomly missing frames in the video, it may not help. But if the existing video gradually loses audio/video sync, it should.

Try changing the audio length with VD/Audacity as I mentioned above and see if it improves.

I don't use FRAPS, so not sure how VD handles the format. That seems a huge file for a 9 minute video. If VD will let you use Direct stream processing with the audio and video, that would help. Otherwise you would have to find a different program that can demux the audio and then remux a corrected version back with the video.
    Quote Quote