VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi

if my dvd player said it can play mpeg4, does it means it can play video file with .mp4 extension ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No. Usually just avi with xvid/divx.

AND PLEASE use a better subject. I changed it it this time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oic , therefore it cannot play mp4 with xvid ? Thanks for previously reply
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by c1steady
    oic , therefore it cannot play mp4 with xvid ? Thanks for previously reply
    Why does the dvd player said it can play mpeg4 while it can only play avi with xvid. really very confusing. So what is mpeg4 since it is not mp4.

i read somewhere in this forum that mpeg4 is actually mp4 also. am i right ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. MP4 is a container (like AVI, MKV, MPG). MPEG 4 is a video compression specification (among other things). It encompasses two main specs: part 2 (ASP, Xvid, Divx, etc.), and part 10 (AVC, h.264, etc.).

What most DVD players mean when they say they support MPEG 4 is that they support MPEG 4 part 2 encoded video in an AVI container. Most do not support the MP4 container. And when they do they usually only support MPEG 4 part 2 in that container, not MPEG 4 part 10.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    MP4 is a container (like AVI, MKV, MPG). MPEG 4 is a video compression specification (among other things). It encompasses two main specs: part 2 (ASP, Xvid, Divx, etc.), and part 10 (AVC, h.264, etc.).

What most DVD players mean when they say they support MPEG 4 is that they support MPEG 4 part 2 encoded video in an AVI container. Most do not support the MP4 container. And when they do they usually only support MPEG 4 part 2 in that container, not MPEG 4 part 10.
    oic . thanks for the info
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    This is quite correct. It's yet another example of the industry trying to be helpful (and failing) or deliberately misleading with descriptions that can be misunderstood. Another example is the "1080 compatible" description that was used on some 720p HDTVs that caused consumers to think that they were buying a 1080p TV when in fact it is just a deliberately confusing term that means that the TV will downscale 1080i/p input to the TV's native resolution (720p or slightly bigger depending on the model).
    Quote Quote