VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.

I am going to buy WINDOWS 7 Utimate. I am going to purchase this from NEW EGG. But I am confused by the two versions they offer for sale.

QUESTION: What is the difference between the Retail (box) version ($319) and the OEM version ($179) ?

QUESTION: Why is the such a large price difference?

Thanks
    tryin' bryan
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OEM. Why give M$ that extra money??
    Quote Quote  
  3. The main difference between OEM and Retail: Microsoft provides more support for Retail. You are only allowed (by the EULA) to install OEM on a single computer, ever. So, if you buy a new computer a few years from now, by the EULA, you can't remove the OEM windows from the old computer and install it on the new computer. In reality, if you tell them you repaired or upgraded a few components they'll allow the new computer to Activate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some software vendors (not Microsoft, but some other companies) may insist that consumers have no right to purchase OEM software and no right to install it themselves. Adobe did this to a friend of mine who runs a small business and it completely freaked him out. So if you are a small businessman you may just find it gives you more piece of mind to buy retail.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Buy the OEM or try to take advantage of the Ultimate Steel program.

Have you ever called Microsoft for support to begin with. Nowadays you can use google and find solutions to any problems.
    Quote Quote