VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had been using FFmpeg build 12665 for a long time, mostly for transcoding HD TV captures to DVD format, and recently tried new builds, but found that the encoding frames per second is a whole lot slower with the new builds - like 41 FPS with 12665, but a measly 17 FPS with newer builds. The new builds I tried are 18639, 20472, and 20584 (from three different people). All of the new builds are just too slow using similar encoding options.

What's up with that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I have the same problem using 10464 vs. 20584 when encoding to mpeg2 (didn't try other codecs yet).

Do you use trellis quantization?

When I take that off, speed is for both approx the same. I have the impression that 10464 simply doesn't use trellis with mpeg2 because I see no difference with or without.

FFmpeg doesn't always check if commands are supported by the given codec and ignores them without any warning.

EDIT: I mean the -trellis 1 (rate-distortion optimal quantization) command.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I use -trellis 1 with new builds and -flags +trell with old builds. Thanks for pointing that out!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Had to refresh my memory a bit.

It actually concerns a command syntax change. Weird thing is that 10464 accepts "-trellis 1" (new command) but ignores it. When I run 10464 with "-flags +trell" (old command) it's just as slow as 20584.

From revision 15263 up the old command was taken off.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Strange, for me, r12665 with -flags +trell is much faster than r20584 with -trellis 1. I'll test on different hardware.
    Quote Quote