VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I'm exporting a 5 minute HDV project from Premiere Pro CS3 to h.264 blu-ray format.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest what Target & Maximum Bitrate I use to get the best quality ?

I chose the template in Premiere called 1440 x 1080i 29.97 High Quality (and yes, my footage is interlaced HDV - 1080i)

Attached is a screen cap of my settings & I will be authoring the Blu-ray in Encore CS3.

Just looking to get the best quality on this Blu-ray because I know there is plenty of space to up the Target & Maximum bitrate, but I didn't want to set it too high.

Thanks

Quote Quote  
  2. Your bitrate is typically limited by BD fixed capacity - so use a bitrate calculator to make sure you don't go over. When authored, the transport stream takes about 6-7% more room than a container like .mp4

But you can go as far as 30 average and 40 max safely

I would also consider using AC3 audio instead of PCM. AC3 @ 640kbps will be nearly identical to PCM @ 1536, especially if your original audio isn't from a studio source.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The sliders in Premiere CS3 will only allow me to go up to 35 for target or max bit rate. I'll try 30 average & 35 max.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you choose constant quality mode under Bitrate Encoding? If so I would probably use it instead.

The blu-ray video max video bitrate is 40Mbps.
    Quote Quote  
  5. CBR will only allow me to go up to 35 Mbps also.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Not sure why it's limited. Other "official" blu-ray encoders like cinevision allow 40, and it falls within specs
    Quote Quote