VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I have created a single "VOB" video file to add to DVD Author GUI, using 'freevideoconverter'.
    My problem is that while the previews for my dvd look absolutely fine, the final video aspect ratio is all wrong.

The video looks squashed when it is played in the final output, even though the menus themselves are ok.
    When I have finished creating a simple menu, and then click on "create dvd" in DVD Author GUI,
    it states "WARN: unknown mpeg2 aspect ratio 1" every 2 seconds in the creation process.
    This makes the video creation process much longer, and even worse, my final dvd video is the
    wrong aspect ratio. Is there any way I can add ratio information to my single VOB file so that
    DVD Author GUI works and creates a video with the proper aspect ratio
    (which showns ok in the DVD Author GUI preview)?

PS - my main video can be fixed if I select "2.21:1" in VLC Player when I play it
    after the menu screen, but how can I make sure this is corrected to avoid manual settings,
    either in DVD Author GUI (to prevent the aspect ratio error messages above), or on the VOB itself?
    Thanks for any help if possible

the 720x304 VOBs aspect ratio is "1:1" when added to DVD Author GUI, so I guess I am looking for
    a tool that will change my VOBs default ratio to 2.21:1 instead of 1:1? Hopefully that would sort the
    problem! I have been told that "DVDPatcher_v106" may be what I need for DVD Author GUI to sort
    out the ratio problem? Is this correct/is it easy to use? thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the only acceptable size for dvd mpeg-2 is 720x480 for ntsc or 70x576 for pal. if it's widescreen the editing software should set the mpeg-2 widescreen flag in the creation process, but the mpeg-2 will still be 720x480 or 720x576.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. the videos dimensions need to be definately 720x304 at 2.21:1 in order for it to look proper - would any tool correct the default set ratio problem in my single vob file, such as the one I mentioned above? My VOB video on its own looks fine in VLC, but I cannot get Dvd Author Gui to add this single vob video to its menu at anything other than 1:1 as the vobs default

would I have to add borders to my VOB video with its odd dimensions in order for it to look as it should, if I wished to use DVD Author GUI to add my own menu to go with it? If so Im not sure how to go about doing it, if its easy to add them to the vob or original files. this is the main vob video Im having trouble with when using DVD Author GUI, all wedding videos but not my cam- so not sure why such a wide video 2.21:1 ratio was used with this one. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. 720x304 at 2.21:1 is OK for MPEG-2. but DVD video is more strict about the approved DARs and resolutions. They have to be either 4:3 or 16:9 and 720x480/576, with a few variations on that. The 'What is DVD' link in the top left of this page will fill you in on the gory details. You'll have to reencode as it's not DVD Author GUI's job to fix your screwups.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will have to add black borders top and bottom to fill out the image.

Personally, I think you are using the wrong tool. Any Video Converter is OK for converting Xvid to Mp4 or similar if you want something simple and quick. I would never use it for DVD work.

Try AVStoDVD. Set the output to produce elementary streams, then author from these to create your final disc. The quality will be far higher, and compliant.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks for the replies! guns1inger - sorry, I havent tried anyvideoconverter,
    it was freevideoconverter, from http://www.koyotesoft.com/indexEn.html
    although Im sure they are probably almost identical in what they do! i will
    also try "avs2dvd" to also compare with freevideoconverter 8)
    I used freeconverter to convert many different formats in the past, which
    was why I was also testing it out for this current process also.

are there any simple tools out there that would let me add borders to a single vob
    or finished dvd image (with multiple vobs)?

If not, Im guessing the only way around the problem is to either re-convert it to the
    dvd dimensions you mention while keeping the videos aspect ratio, or only play it on a pc
    using a player that will resize the video

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't add borders without re-encoding. As every lossy encode costs quality, you are best starting again from your original source.

If you want to create a DVD, you have to play within the specs.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. i have used the freevideoconverter program before-even without adding borders at any stage, all material I have added to dvdauthor for files of differing dimensions, has never come out/played with the wrong screen ratio in the past, its just this 2.21:1. Since I never had problems before, I used to think that for a single vob file, perhaps there was usually some sort of statistics added to the start of the video/vob stating which ratio it plays correctly in, that would cause the player to generate the borders itself, but I guess I was wrong! haha. i will try AVS2DVD to convert to single vob to see if it will work with odd video ratios and give required non-stretched/squashed output. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have now tried AVStoDVD-the quality is about the same as
    freevideoconverter, but that is not a fault, as both tools are very good.
    I set the output to produce elementary streams - and it created a vob
    for each video.. without stretching/squashing the image. On this single
    1.6 Ghz, 1GB ram machine with seperate dedicated gfx, it took just over
    a couple hrs for them all ;( but it works hopefully I can now use my
    newly created vobs with less problems from now on, with dvdauthorGUI
    or similar (Im wasting far too much time on menus also, for both photo
    galleries and video, ive still to find a better menu creation tool, although
    it does pretty much everything needed).

AVStoDVD will help alot in future if I ever have problems with
    video-to-dvd size again.. thanks to everyone!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For freebie authoring you might also look at DVD Styler or GUIForDVDAuthor
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. GUIforDVDAuthor is great, when I mentioned "DVDAuthorGUI" in my first post, I meant GUIforDVDAuthor! I didnt realise that DVDAuthorGUI and GUIforDVDAuthor were different, although I think I may have tried the other one in the past - DVDAuthorGUI being a quicker/basic version with less ability to add much in the way of custom menus/gfx? When creating wedding/family videos, its always nice to have a very graphical main menu, although not necessarily just to create amusing menus that everyone in the family can relate to (that only myself will probably find amusing).. :O (!) haha. GUIforDVDAuthor is very good, I have used it for a long time, and I doubt there are many (any?) bought tools that can do a much better job. It does everything I need, apart from adding borders to video that is not set in the correct dimensions, but that seems sorted now with AVStoDVD. I dont think I have tried out DVDStyler, I will give that a go eventually to compare, in the meantime I will try adding my finished vobs to GUIforDVDAuthor to see if it creates the final output I was wanting all along! Im assuming since I have already added borders, that all my output should now be widescreen 16:9, if that is correct?

It could just be my monitor brightness being too high, but I have noticed that the "black borders" that AVStoDVD has created to fill out my videos (so that it they are not squashed when converting), are not "as black" as the real borders that come above and below them! im guessing this is far less noticable on a real tv screen, or failing that, I should no doubt just turn down the brightness so that they are equal? Im guessing there is no way to choose level of brightness in the borders, and that its all automatic? Its not a big deal at all, I was just wondering!

thanks
    Quote Quote