VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. New to avidemux, when I load a vob file the video is to narrow and the hight is too high, please see screen shot, the vob is coming off of my Toshiba d-r 410 dvd recorder. All the disks play fine in three different dvd players what I would like to do is go completely freeware in authoring a dvd. but need to start with basic editing in avidemux first.

All replies are most welcome

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wild guess - your recorder is recording in half-D1 resolution, and AVIDemux isn't picking this up when you load the files. This is really only a display issue, and should not affect any editing you do. If you want to you can add a resize filer to get the image back to full-D1 (720 x 480 - NTSC or 720 x 576 - PAL) if you want to.

Why has it recorded at half-D1 ? usually this is because you have tried to recorder in a long play type mode to squeeze a lot of footage onto the disc, and this is how the recorder tries to handle the lower bitrates.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes its is recorded in the SP mode for 4 hrs on one disk, some movies on hbo are over 2 1/2 hrs long that's why I guess its recording in half size mode, will try the edit and see if it works thanks for the info on using filters to bring it back to full d1
    Quote Quote  
  4. It edited without any problems, avidemux is fantastic for a freeware program now on to dvd styler to make a trial movie.
    Thanks again for your help
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have same problem with video downloaded from internet in VLC it opens okay, however in AVI Demux shrienked square, and after i trim it it with output setting copy video/audio format mp4 - output file also becomes shrinked even after opening in VLC
    Quote Quote  
  6. 1) Are you aware that this thread is 4373 days old ?! Every single atom of your body was different when it was created (the thread, not the body).
    2) I haven't used Avidemux much lately, and never ran into that kind of issue when I used it regularly. Just checked with version 2.7.6, it doesn't seem to have an option for setting a specific display aspect ratio different from the storage aspect ratio, with no recompression. Which sucks.
    In this case you can either :
    - copy the timecodes at the trim points and do the trimming with ffmpeg instead, or mp4box, or MKVTookNix (in a single step), or
    - do the trimming with Avidemux, then use ffmpeg, or mp4box, or MKVToolNix, only to re-set the correct aspect ratio (2 steps but both quick & lossless).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Avidemux doesn't apply DAR when it opens a video.

If your source file uses Display Aspect Ratio (non square pixels), you need to set the DAR parameter again when you save (in the container output options), otherwise the DAR parameter is lost causing a wrong aspect ratio display issue.

Alternatively you can reapply the DAR after editing (for instance with ffmpeg).
    Quote Quote  
  8. If your source file uses Display Aspect Ratio (non square pixels), you need to set the DAR parameter again when you save (in the container output options), otherwise the DAR parameter is lost causing a wrong aspect ratio display issue.
    Indeed, I just re-checked now, it is possible with the first MP4 muxer in recent versions of Avidemux (yesterday I tested first with the old — although not quite as old as this thread — version 2.6, which didn't have that kind of option, then with v. 2.7.6 but for some reason I missed the “Force aspect ratio” option, the relevant field being greyed-out by default). There's no such option with the “MP4v2 Muxer” module.
    Quote Quote