VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ripped one of my BD movies with AnyDVD HD and muxed the film into an MKV using tsMuxer with no resizing or transcoding.

When I play back the MKV, which is 1920x1080 (the same as my desktop resolution) using Windows Media Player with ffdshow/Haali media splitter the video is squished vertically with black bars being added to the black bars already present in the 16x9 file.

I used RipBot264 to resize the MKV to 1280x720 and WMP played it back fine with no AR change. I've searched around and can't find a solution so I was hoping someone here could help me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does it look the same if you play with vlc media player?

You can try use mkvtoolnix and try change the aspect ratio and make a new mkv and see if it make any difference.

ANd you can also try use MakeMKV to make an mkv from the blu-ray. No conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Osirus23,

I'm guessing that the 'extra' set of black bars were encoded in the original video. Reencoding with RipBot264 probably cropped them off.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Does it look the same if you play with vlc media player?

You can try use mkvtoolnix and try change the aspect ratio and make a new mkv and see if it make any difference.

ANd you can also try use MakeMKV to make an mkv from the blu-ray. No conversion.
    Thanks for the quick replies, in response:

If I play the same MKV in VLC or MPC the aspect ratio is correct, its only WMP where its squished. It's just that they look better in WMP than the other players so I want to be able to use that instead. (Example: The black bars are actually black in WMP, they are grayish in VLC and MPC, this applies to all MKVs I play not just this particular file.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Took a screenshot of whats going on.

Windows Media Player:
    mkv_wmp.png

VLC:
    mkv_vlc.png
    Quote Quote