VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    I'm only curious because WMP seems to do the best job at playing back my DV AVI files captured from my DV camera, whereas VLC and Media Player Classic seem to give me trouble or require me to go through a lot of steps to find out how to get the same result.

WMP seems to deinterlace the videos correctly, set the aspect ratio correctly, and crop out the unwanted areas from the video. Problem is I just don't like using WMP. Any ideas, anyone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VLC keeps changing preference menus for each version update (under "Tools" now). I've noticed some strange deinterlace behavior under the v1.0 Goldeneye. I need to look closer. It doesn't seem to change settings immediately. You need to save settings and restart.

I just updated my VLC (1.0.3) and MPC. Need to take a closer look.

Check out the new Yadif and Yadif (2x) deinterlace modes in VLC. They seem to use more CPU.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. WMP uses the MS DV Decoder. They can communicate with each other in an undisclosed way so that the correct aspect ratio is always used. The deinterlacing is an intermediate step. I suspect WMP knows that the video is interlaced (it gets this from the DV stream itself rather than the AVI header) and therefore applies the deinterlacing. When I have played a DV file in WMP on an interlaced secondary display, it doesn't try to deinterlace which is nice.

If a different DV decoder is used as the Windows default, WMP will use it and it won't get the correct aspect ratio etc.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  4. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    When I deinterlace videos in VLC it just...doesn't play the video anymore. Only the audio. Setting it to deinterlace by default seems to just...not work.

And is there a way to get VLC to play the file at 59.94?

If I could get VLC to use the same decoder for DV files only I'd be in heaven.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CursedLemon
    When I deinterlace videos in VLC it just...doesn't play the video anymore. Only the audio. Setting it to deinterlace by default seems to just...not work.

And is there a way to get VLC to play the file at 59.94?

If I could get VLC to use the same decoder for DV files only I'd be in heaven.
    The thread you started was interesting. I'm not experiencing your same problems. Did you upgrade to 1.0.3? VLC versions do vary. VLC "suffers" from so many options in perferences.

Play at 59.94 on a computer? That would be a bob deinterlace. The downside of a pure bob deinterlace is flicker with low motion. Try the more motion adaptive Yadif options instead.

I'm going to look at these in more depth this coming rainy weekend.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    I did get the latest version, my problems seem to persist.
    Quote Quote