VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Win 7 requires you to register your computer within 30 days online or by calling in. what happens if you wish to transfer the copy to a newer computer? I plan on buying a new computer after the holidays, but want to install Win 7 on my current laptop. Is it possible to transfer the copy later? I will just install Win XP on the old laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If its a retail version you can transfer but it must be removed form the other system or buy a second license if you wish to retain that install.

Oem's provided by, dell, sony, toshiba, acer, ect ... are tied to the system they are installed on, and cannot be transferred

Oem's purchased where you agreed to "system builder" declarations are similar but doesn't stop people form installing and evaluating the products performance and application testing purpose's, while not actually legal, but after 30 days it must be activated or removed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They really have us by the "short and curlies" on that one. I have two systems - one with XP and the other is Win 7. I can't put them on the same workgroup unless I change one of the systems. It doesn't matter they both work fine with the system each has.
    There are no problems - only chances to excel.
    -- Unknown
    Quote Quote  
  4. So if I purchase a new HP dv4 and it comes with Win 7 Home premium, I cannot transfer that to another computer? Even if I install with my version on Win 7 Ultimate (retail version)?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jyeh74
    So if I purchase a new HP dv4 and it comes with Win 7 Home premium, I cannot transfer that to another computer?
    That is correct.

Originally Posted by jyeh74
    Even if I install with my version on Win 7 Ultimate (retail version)?
    The full retail version can be removed from the old and installed on the new computer. The system builder OEM version can't (according to the license) -- but you can usually say you replaced or upgraded several components in your computer and MS will allow you to activate. Just don't tell them it's a new computer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by M Bruner
    They really have us by the "short and curlies" on that one. I have two systems - one with XP and the other is Win 7. I can't put them on the same workgroup unless I change one of the systems. It doesn't matter they both work fine with the system each has.
    I have (3) XP, (4) Vista and (2) W7 all on the same workgroup and haven't noticed any problems. Vista and XP didn't always get along, but that problem seems to have disappeared as I haven't noticed it lately. Most of my earlier problems were with Vista seeing the XP shared drives, but that's resolved now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sure that once I DO get them on the same group there won't be either. So how are they connected? By ethernet, firewire?
    -- Unknown
    Quote Quote  
  8. I had no trouble seeing shared files in the "Public" folder of a Win7 computer from XP (and a WDTV Live). But when I shared a video folder on another drive the XP machines couldn't access it. I had to manually enable Guest access to the video share before the XP machines could access it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I really appreciate the response, but is there a step by step post to tell me how to do it. My two computers are linked by firewire, one is Windows 7 and the other is XP Service Pack 3.
    -- Unknown
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by M Bruner
    I really appreciate the response, but is there a step by step post to tell me how to do it. My two computers are linked by firewire, one is Windows 7 and the other is XP Service Pack 3.
    That's the problem. Firewire TCP/IP networking only exists in XP. It was removed from Vista (and Win 7). MS claimed there wasn't enough demand for it to merit ongoing support and development. Oh well. It is what it is.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo
    So if I purchase a new HP dv4 and it comes with Win 7 Home premium, I cannot transfer that to another computer?
    That is correct.

Even if I install with my version on Win 7 Ultimate (retail version)?
    The full retail version can be removed from the old and installed on the new computer. The system builder OEM version can't (according to the license) -- but you can usually say you replaced or upgraded several components in your computer and MS will allow you to activate. Just don't tell them it's a new computer.
    The oem laptop comes with Win 7 Home Premium. I have a the retail version of Win 7 Ultimate. I was going to install my Win 7 Ultimate on my oem laptop and give the Win 7 Premium to my sister. Don't know how to do that.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The oem laptop comes with Win 7 Home Premium. I have a the retail version of Win 7 Ultimate. I was going to install my Win 7 Ultimate on my oem laptop and give the Win 7 Premium to my sister. Don't know how to do that.
    Since it was purchased pre-installed on your HP laptop, you can't give the Win 7 Home Premium to your sister unless you give her the laptop along with it.

When a computer comes from a major manufacturer like HP, Microsoft knows that HP supplied it and installed it on that computer. If you try to install it on some other computer, they won't activate it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Maybe if your sister's laptop is an HP too...
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Maybe if your sister's laptop is an HP too...
    Wont work since hp ties the o/s to each computer model unless its the exact same model.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Cant I call MSFT or go online to do the transfer somehow?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jyeh74
    Cant I call MSFT or go online to do the transfer somehow?
    Probably not. The HP OEM licence is for the computer it came on only.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cant I call MSFT or go online to do the transfer somehow?
    Yes you can call MS and tell them all your problems convincing them you aren't gaming them and be prepared to show all payments (especially for that Win7 Ultimate), ... then they may rejig all your product licenses to fit giving you new key codes. Be aware it probably won't work a second time. They keep a history on you.

They currently are in a mood to make Win7 customers happy. Work with them. If they don't help, demand a full refund on that Win7 Ultimate Full (over $200) and start over.

PS: They probably can't do much on the HP laptop. That is under their HP OEM contract but you should be able to get a refund on the full Win7 ultimate.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote