VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to encode some mpegs into H.264. The problem i'm running into is that every program I try seems to be desynching the audio. I know there are some programs out there which let you offset the audio a couple of seconds to resynch it, but that won't help me in this particular case. What happens is that the audio STARTS out fine, but midway through the movie somehow mysteriously becomes desynched by several seconds.

Any recommendations on some good converters that are pretty reliable on the synching of audio? I've looked at the list on this sites tools section for encoders, and tried several of them, was hoping for a good recommendation before having to try all of them one by one (which is what I seem to be doing at the moment).

Thanks for any suggestions in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to provide a lot more detail.

What OS ?
    What is your source ?
    What have you already tried ?
    Are you doing framerate conversion (PAL -> NTSC or NTSC -> PAL) ?

Often if the same issue occurs in multiple programs it points to a more systemic issue - perhaps with the source or how you acquire it.

There is little point recommending tools if you have already tried them.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    happens if the mpegs are corrupt (playing back correctly in a software or hardware player does not mean it is not corrupt)
    Use ProjectX (free) or MPEG Video Wizard DVD (not free) to repair the file first
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Desyncing can happen if you try to encode at 29.97 fps with mpg that have pulldown.The pulldown has to be removed and encoded at 23.976fps.Some programs will do this for you but other will not.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, thanks for all the great suggestions.

Ultimately, the solution for me was finding and trying HandBrake. Using the automatic settings on it for Television has given be EXCELLENT compression rates (530 Mb for 1 hour), clean crisp video, and the Audio is perfectly synched all the way through. Thanks a bunch for all the help (And for hosting the link to Handbrake).

I'll post a direct link to it here for anyone else who may be having the same problem and wants to try it.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/HandBrake
    Quote Quote