VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have converted .ssa subs to .srt subs and still damn letter N appears in the text almost in every line. I know I can easily spot
    N letter in WordPad clicking on Edit-Replace etc. and then I would have to make the spaces instead of N. But going thru
    all text subs then to make spaces in the right spots is a real pain in neck. Does anybody know better way around ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you could try Aegisub I've used in the past to correct misspelled words from Asian DVD's in the past
    Quote Quote  
  3. How did you convert it?

In SSA subs '\N' is the line break. If your 'N's are left over from that, then maybe convert using a different program. SubResynch (included in the VobSub package) doesn't leave behind stray 'N's.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    How did you convert it?
    Simply, by Subtitle Workshop. "N" has been already in an SSA subs.

SubResynch (included in the VobSub package) doesn't leave behind stray 'N's.
    It does I have just tried this.

Originally Posted by craigarta
    Well you could try Aegisub I've used in the past to correct misspelled words from Asian DVD's in the past
    Well, I'll see what is this about. I'm going to give a try.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by manono
    "
    SubResynch (included in the VobSub package) doesn't leave behind stray 'N's.
    It does I have just tried this.
    It doesn't. I tested also, before I posted.
    SSA:
    Overseer, the workmen\Nare going to lunch
    SRT:
    Overseer, the workmen
    are going to lunch
    Maybe there's something wrong with the SSA subs you created. There probably is if there's some sort of an extra 'N' in addition to the '\N'. I wouldn't know as I don't use Subtitle Workshop, but maybe you go back and create them properly this time. I'm not sure why you're blaming the conversion to SRT since you say the problem exists in the SSA subs you created.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mahogany
    I have converted .ssa subs to .srt subs and still damn letter N appears in the text almost in every line. I know I can easily spot
    N letter in WordPad clicking on Edit-Replace etc. and then I would have to make the spaces instead of N. But going thru
    all text subs then to make spaces in the right spots is a real pain in neck. Does anybody know better way around ?
    Why can't you replace every N with a space? I just tried it on a srt file I have and (I chose the letter E) and on the replace with line I did one space. I used Notepad and it worked.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its a "manual" job, no way to automate this
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    depends on what you mean by manual - all you have to do is Replace N with space ALL and it will flip though the entire file. You could also write a script to do a batch conversion of several files I suppose.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yeah, but the real capital 'N's will also get a space after them, something you don't want. It's a manual one-by-one job for sure. Running a spell-check might help. Better, I think, would be to go back and find out where he screwed up to get all the extra 'N's to begin with.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Overseer, the workmen\Nare going to lunch
    Global replace "\N" with " ".
    Quote Quote  
  11. But then you lose all the line breaks and you'd have to go through the SRTs line-by-line to create them again. Plus, as near as I can tell he started out with a bunch of extra "N"s for some reason. He hasn't shown us any lines of sub dialog, from either the source SSAs or the converted SRTs, so who really knows what's going on?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe there's something wrong with the SSA subs you created.
    I did not creat them. Have been downloaded from opensubtitles.org.

I'm not sure why you're blaming the conversion to SRT since you say the problem exists in the SSA subs you created.
    I thought maybe after conversion to SRT an "N" will dissapear or something like that. I don't know a lot about this stuff.

Originally Posted by netmask56
    Why can't you replace every N with a space? I just tried it on a srt file I have and (I chose the letter E) and on the replace with line I did one space. I used Notepad and it worked.
    Bingo The way I did this was wrong. In the Replace box and in the field Replace with: I did just nothing. Now when I put a space/press the space bar in the Replace with: field - it does the job. However, still got some work to do like searching spots that left after "N" which begins real words (as the first letter in sentences or as the first letter in some names) but in this case it's not a big deal.
    Thank you again for your tip Sidney-man

Plus, as near as I can tell he started out with a bunch of extra "N"s for some reason. He hasn't shown us any lines of sub dialog, from either the source SSAs or the converted SRTs, so who really knows what's going on?
    Here:
    with "N"
    http://i37.tinypic.com/2hd5sw4.jpg

without "N"
    http://i38.tinypic.com/x3jaf.jpg

Thank you all for your input guys
    Quote Quote