VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

I'm noob about this subject.

Can you point me which Software Players Can Play Blu-Ray and HD-DVD Files nowadays?

I know that Powerdvd can do that. :P

You can list both freewares and no-freewares too. :P

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can play the *.m2ts with MPCHC, no navigation though.

Splash is the only free one that's supposed to play Blu-Ray files, that I know of. Haven't got around to trying it yet.

TME is what I use, it came with my HD-PVR. It's everything PowerDVD should be, but isn't. :P (I got PowerDVD8 with my BD-Rom, and don't like it at all.) TMT3, also from Arcsoft, is supposed to be very good as well, and is a bit cheaper than TME. It was very easy to set up my iMon remote for TME. Basically enter the Digital Theater executable into the program list and all multimedia buttons work like a charm. MPCHC I had to enter the keyboard shortcuts into program commands individually. Not that it's a real big deal...

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think the current version of PowerDVD does not play HD-DVD. Cyberlink removed the ability to play HD-DVD when Toshiba ended the format.

PowerDVD is very bad. It would be a good idea to use something else. The Splash website is terrible. I looked at it and I don't understand if the free version will play BluRay or not. I think it won't, but I am not sure. If I was going to use something for BluRay I would use either TM3 or TMT3.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The OP says "files", and I'm assuming that means files on hard drive. AFAIK, Splash won't play Blu-Ray off disc, unless you get the pro (pay) version.

The only thing about TME I would criticize is the footprint. (I'm so used to lean freeware programs.) But it works well and you know, the latest PowerDVD is even bigger. After all, in addition to the player, TME has a capture module, an AVCHD editing/disc creation module and a conversion module. Not that the latter two are all that great. But PowerDVD is just a multimedia player.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My computer came with a Super Multimedia Drive that plays HD_DVD, BLU-RAY, and DVDs. The cyberlink software was included, but I would have to agree it's likely been discontinued since HD_DVD died.
    Quote Quote