VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM

what kind is this and how do I get rid of it? lol

this was filmed on a DV camera I think, then I got the files in a different format then raw DV footage I think but anyway I use Sony Vegas to edit with and none of the deinterlacing options are working in there

quick note: It's barely noticable in most scenes, only in fast motion
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not seeing the image yet (I assume that is what you are refering to), however I suggest you post 10 seconds or so of the footage youhave so we can actually see it in action. Find an obvious section that clearly shows the problem
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Standard interlacing there.

What's the problem? This will look fine on any standard TV (CRTs usually interlace anyway, and LCD/Plasmas have built-in HW deinterlacers, so you don't need to do anything).
    Are you rather wanting to watch this EXCLUSIVELY on a PC?

More info please.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia
    Standard interlacing there.

What's the problem? This will look fine on any standard TV (CRTs usually interlace anyway, and LCD/Plasmas have built-in HW deinterlacers, so you don't need to do anything).
    Are you rather wanting to watch this EXCLUSIVELY on a PC?

More info please.

Scott
    oi I didn't know that, I thought most things have been going like pure progressive so I thought it'd be better to make it progressive, but it's going to be submitted to an internet contest where it'll be viewed(but if it wins it'll be aired on TV) Most of the other entrees weren't interlaced so I thought I should do the same
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on what format you intend to submit it, and what the competition requires. You may have to de-interlace it for online viewing.

Note : resizing interlaced footage brings a whole new set of problems as well.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For computer playback you can use a non-destructive deinterlacing player like PowerDVD or VLC (free). For VLC experiment with the various deinterlacing modes under "Video", then select your favorite in start preferences.

You should archive as is for future editing and TV display.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, the video is interlaced. A simple bob:

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like interlaced videos.

Check Splash for playback of interlaced clips.
    You will get great picture quality even if you dont use hardware acceleration for video decoding.
    If you have quite strong PC make sure to check "Best Quality" option. It will make something like 100Hz in modern TV sets.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Interlacing was a good compromise solution in the 1940s. Today a $20 chip can decode 1920x1080p60 h.264 with no problems. Interlaced video should have been eliminated from HD video standards. Unfortunately we're stuck with it for another 50 years since it was become a part of all the digital broadcast standards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Interlacing was a good compromise solution in the 1940s. Today a $20 chip can decode 1920x1080p60 h.264 with no problems. Interlaced video should have been eliminated from HD video standards. Unfortunately we're stuck with it for another 50 years since it was become a part of all the digital broadcast standards.
    Yes the alternative is h.264 1080p/59.94 and 1080p/23.976. Also h.264 480p/59.94 and 480p/23.976.

These will probably added as ATSC II at some point in the future as an option for subchannels (primary channel must remain MPEG2) but that means external tuners would be required for all current ATSC TV sets to receive these formats. Cable and satellite can make the change by replacing cable/sat boxes but cable clear QAM would need to remain MPEG2.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nitro1973
    I like interlaced videos.

Check Splash for playback of interlaced clips.
    You will get great picture quality even if you dont use hardware acceleration for video decoding.
    If you have quite strong PC make sure to check "Best Quality" option. It will make something like 100Hz in modern TV sets.
    Thanks.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote