VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,
    I am using ffmpegX on my iMac, and very nice tool it is too. I am converting from MP4 to MP2 and then creating an .img file for the DVD. Finally I burn the img file to DVD with Disk Utility. All seems to work just fine.

However when I play the DVD through my DVD player and only my TV there is a visible band of noise at the bottom of the picture, and then a black band above that. Video and sound are fine apart from this crap at the bottom. Each is about 1/8th of the screen, roughly where I would expect any subtitles to be?

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can anyone hint where to look for the problem? Its to do with sizing/aspect ratios?

I use the standard defaults for the encoding and the DVD looks good on my iMac, albeit in 4:3 mode.

When I play the original MP4 on my iMac (using Quicktime) it states the follow:
    H264
    640x360
    AAC, 2 Channels, 48000 Hz
    25 fps

With all of the above, how should I be configuring ffmpegX to produce a 16:9 DVD?

Thanks very much ...and be gentle, it is my first post
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by video_b0b
    With all of the above, how should I be configuring ffmpegX to produce a 16:9 DVD?
    Before hitting "Encode", go to the Video tab, and set "Autosize" to "DVD 16:9".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case
    Before hitting "Encode", go to the Video tab, and set "Autosize" to "DVD 16:9".
    That did the trick! Thanks very much.

However the fit was still not perfect. The original content had a logo in the top left and so I can tell that the image is not fitting on the screen correctly. Is this normal, or is there a more exact way of setting the '16:9'?

When I go to do this with higher quality original MP4 do I still use the same technique? 'DVD 16:9'?

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    However the fit was still not perfect. The original content had a logo in the top left and so I can tell that the image is not fitting on the screen correctly. Is this normal, or is there a more exact way of setting the '16:9'?
    Please verify that the target video size is 720x480 for NTSC content (23.976 fps/29.97 fps) or 720x576 for PAL content (25 fps). Please verify that no cropping occurred (in ffmpegX's Filters tab), and that any zoom feature on the tv or player is off.

Also try playing the DVD in Apple's software DVD Player to see how it fits the screen there.

When I go to do this with higher quality original MP4 do I still use the same technique? 'DVD 16:9'?
    Autosize "DVD" will make a 4:3 movie with black letterbox padding if needed.
    Autosize "DVD 16:9" will make a 16:9 anamorphic movie that fills a 16:9 screen if the source also was 16:9. It does not depend on quality/resolution of the source file.
    Quote Quote