VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, everyone.

Maybe this question will be stupid question.

I tried convert any video file to RMVB/RV/RM file(this file very small). And played to CRT TV.The result converting video is not bad. But i played at LCD TV or HD TV the result convertion is very bad.

Now i have any question. Please help me:

1. Why there videos very bad for HD TV ot LCD TV.
    2. I have one DVD video want to convert and play at LCD TV. What's format or resolution is the best can played at LCD TV or HDTV. And can reduce maximum video file size(without reduce resolution).
    3. If i have VCD, what's format and resolution is the best for LCD TV or HDTV. And can reduce maximum video file size.
    4. How to do that.

tq.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are playing low resolution, highly compressed video on a large screen, high resolution TV. What do you expect ? Perhaps if you post more details about the actual files, you will get more specific help.

DVDs won't get any better by converting them to anything. Why touch them at all ?

Ditto for VCD. VCD is already low resolution, low to average quality. There is nothing you can realistically do to make it look better on your TV.

The best you can hope for is to get a DVD player that has a good upscaler with HDMI output. I use a PS3, which has a brilliant upscaler, but even it can be stumped by poor quality. If you are looking for a standard DVD player, Toshiba have a couple of models that upscale very well.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    You are playing low resolution, highly compressed video on a large screen, high resolution TV. What do you expect ? Perhaps if you post more details about the actual files, you will get more specific help.

DVDs won't get any better by converting them to anything. Why touch them at all ?

Ditto for VCD. VCD is already low resolution, low to average quality. There is nothing you can realistically do to make it look better on your TV.

The best you can hope for is to get a DVD player that has a good upscaler with HDMI output. I use a PS3, which has a brilliant upscaler, but even it can be stumped by poor quality. If you are looking for a standard DVD player, Toshiba have a couple of models that upscale very well.
    Sorry maybe be you will confuse. I mean i want to convert any DVD or VCD to played on DTV with good resolution. So what format and resolutiion it the best.

tq
    Quote Quote  
  4. No, maybe be you will confuse. He's saying there is no way to make poor quality, low resolution videos look good on a good TV. A CRT TV set can hide a lot of the problems, but a good LCD HDTV will show the problems clearly. There is no format or resolution that can make your bad videos look good.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The advantage offered by a progressive CRT is no digital upscale. It will display 720x480/576 or 640x480 directly. Some can display 1024x576 directly.

So is your desire to display low resolution video at best quality or optimize encoding for a large LCD-HDTV?

If your source is normal DVD or VCD, you need quality upscale for HDTV display. You can invest in a quality DVD player (720p or 1080i out) or a quality LCD-TV (720x576 in upscaled to TV native resolution).
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    No, maybe be you will confuse. .
    Lot of Engrish here lately, I don't get it.
    They ask non-sense questions, and then don't understand our plain English answers.
    Must be translation software or something. I don't know.

Baldrick and Satstorm don't have any trouble coming across clearly.

Back to the question...

Your videos will ALWAYS LOOK BAD... no way around it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. newbievideohelp,
    I thought we answered your question in this thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic373999.html
    Quote Quote