VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a brand new dvd that I am trying to copy.Using DVDdecrypter in ISO mode it says check condition.
    I get an error when I try to do the same in DVD Fab.
    This is a brand new DVD it is not scratched or dirty.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is it a commercial DVD?
    What's the title of the DVD?
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Decrypter hasn't been updated in years and doesn't understand some of the new types of copy protection that some US studios use (Sony and Disney to name but 2 of them). The author of DVD Decrypter was facing a lawsuit and to settle the case he had to give up the source code and stop working on it.

DVDFab does the best it can, but recent reports are that the free version may not be updated to deal with all possible copy protections. So if you have the free one you can wait and see if an update in the future fixes this problem or you can buy the commercial one, which they promise to update. The copy protection that causes problems is usually a variant of ARCCOS that uses bad sectors to try to prevent copying. Authors of programs like DVDFab must buy new DVDs when they are released with new variants of ARCCOS and pay programmers to make the changes to rip the DVDs. All of the free rippers have long ago stopped doing the updates to keep up with ARCCOS - it's too time consuming. Only the commercial rippers like AnyDVD and DVDFab keep up with changes.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Yes it is comercial. Howards End brand new
    Quote Quote  
  5. That's a rather old DVD, what's the exact error message?
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Older movie, but newer DVD, newer copy protection?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by CobraPilot
    Older movie, but newer DVD, newer copy protection?
    The "newest" release I see of that movie to DVD in English was almost 2 years ago. There have been some French and German re-releases in recent years but still nothing "new".
    Quote Quote  
  8. Possibly try ripping from another drive?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CobraPilot
    Older movie, but newer DVD, newer copy protection?
    Unlikely. Since the new copy protection involves placing bad sectors on the master, the studio would have to pay to re-author the movie. I suppose anything is possible, but I'd consider that unlikely. Now this title was released by Criterion this year so I suppose if you bought that one it might have some new copy protection on it, but if you bought the non-Criterion release (apparently released by a studio called Merchant Ivory - never heard of them) it should be able to be ripped right now with existing rippers. Heck, I'd guess that even old DVD Decrypter could handle it. In the past Criterion has not used ARCCOS so I'm leaning towards there either being a problem with your drive or the disc itself.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jman98
    Heck, I'd guess that even old DVD Decrypter could handle it. In the past Criterion has not used ARCCOS so I'm leaning towards there either being a problem with your drive or the disc itself.
    I agree. Criterion doesn't use the fancy stuff. DVD Decrypter handles them all fine. I also think there's something wrong with the physical disc or the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I tried it in another drive,I tried it in another computer with another drive...same thing.Now my main drive won't recognise dvd dl media
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'd say the disc is the problem, see if you can exchange it.
    Does it play ok in your PC and DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Onceler2
    I tried it in another drive,I tried it in another computer with another drive...same thing.Now my main drive won't recognise dvd dl media
    Are you getting this error message?
    Cyclic redundancy check - data error
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your new dvd drive is a IDE (PATA) one then buy a new 80 wire ide cable. Newer IDE dvd drives require the use of a 80 wire ide cable. Ide cables are know to fail as they don't last a lifetime.
    Just my 2 cents!
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    but if you bought the non-Criterion release (apparently released by a studio called Merchant Ivory - never heard of them).
    Not a studio -- that was the production company. They had a 25+ year track record of making acclaimed "arthouse" films. One of the partners died a few years ago, and the other may no longer be active. Re-release editions of certain films could possibly have different protections, but these are more typically not the sort of films that get the big protection efforts. That distinction usually goes to the utter CRAP mass market stuff about which you always see failed-backup-attempt posts here.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote