VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to rip a DVD to x264 mkv and preserving original resolution.

I use DVD Decrypter, AutoMKV (and mkvmerge for adding soft subtitles).

The source vob is 720x576 (2.35:1) says MediaInfo. In AutoMKV I check Anamorphic Encoding.
    The resulting .mkv becomes a 720x576 (16:9). But when played in mpc it gets more like 4:3 (with black bars on the sides) if I don't force 16:9.

What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Set the aspect ratio in MkvMerge.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried that with different values. It only puts black bars on the sides (bars that disappear when I resize the mpc window).
    Quote Quote  
  4. It sounds like you have an MPC or MKV splitter problem then. Try another player.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it works in VLC but the image quality is then much lower. Other movies I downloaded works well in mpc with x264 mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Most of the other videos you download probably don't use anamorphic encoding (ie, they use square pixel). VLC shouldn't look worse than MPC. Are you using MPC or MPCHC? Do you have the Video Frame -> Keep Aspect Ratio setting enabled? And is Video Frame -> Touch Window From Inside selected? Also try enabling or disabling MPCHC's internal MKV splitter, and decoders.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was using good old mpc, with mpchc it works! Yes, the other files was HD content, no anamorpf for them I guess. Also yes on the other questions, can I conclude that mpc is to old to handle the file?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by kramboa
    can I conclude that mpc is to old to handle the file? :)
    Maybe. It depends on the combination of MKV splitter and codecs you were using. Aspect ration information has to be passed from the MKV splitter, to the video decoder, and then to the video renderer (graphics card driver). MPC has fewer built in components and may rely more on DirectShow filters.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for all your replies! I try to see the problem as solved, you can't be too picky when it comes to amateur video conversion:P
    Quote Quote