VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The BBC iPlayer now uses mp4 files, and no longer wmv files, when you download a programme to your hard disk to watch (time limit is a week). However as expected these are also protected files, presumably with DRM. Is there any software available to remove the DRM from the mp4 files?

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't seen any info anywhere on such a program. It seems that the only way to deal with this is to use a streaming media recorder to record the video while it plays. Believe it or not, there actually is some DRM that currently cannot be removed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If it's downloaded already you have 1 week to do the screen capture offline; you don't have to do it while streaming (which would add extra variables like buffering, dropped frames)

Some earlier forms of Apple DRM could be removed by simply remuxing into mkv with mkvmerge. You could give it a try. I don't get access to BBC from across the pond, so can't test anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it is slightly surprising that there is some DRM that (currently) can not be removed.

I don't really want to go down the screen capture route, even offline, if it has got to be done in real time I don't think I can be bothered / don't want the material badly enough.

mkvmerge sounds interesting, I will give that a try, but am not holding out much hope.

If anyone finds a solution, DRM removal software which will work with the new mp4 files, please reply in this thread - even if in 6 months time, I'll get the reply notification.

Thanks guys, I'll reply when I've tested mkvmerge to let you know, but probably won't have time to try it today.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried remuxing the MP4 into mkv with mkvmerge after running a test on an unencrypted file, which worked perfectly, but the iPlayer DRM MP4 failed.

Oh well, I knew it was a long shot. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Anyone got any other ideas?
    Quote Quote