VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How does one author a PAL DVD using "mpeg-4 avc" NTSC 1280x720 VOB files?

These were converted from mkv to vob, using mkv2vob, and play successfully as seperate 1gb vob files (same specs as mkv) in any player (powerdvd; vlc).

Wish to play them as dvd's (fit 3 such onto one dvd?) through bluray player to large tv.

Attempting many methods of demuxing, etc, to then place within "DVD Architect" - all fail.

It is as if the H.264 codec at 23.976 1280:720p is not possible to code onto a dvd?

Audio is classed as AC3 448KBs/48KHz/6ch

any thoughts??
    Quote Quote  
  2. For regular movie DVD you need to convert to MPEG 2 with legal DVD frame sizes and frame rates. For PAL DVD that is 720x576 at 25 fps.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvd

If you want to make AVCHD DVDs for playback on Blu-ray players (these will not play on regular DVD players) you need to author appropriately:

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/authoring-bd-hd-dvd

I'm pretty sure DVD Architect doesn't make AVCHD discs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thankyou so much - this is very useful.

pointed the way to "avchd" program, which looks promising, resulting in no need for down conversion to lower frame resolution.

investigation continues!
    Quote Quote  
  4. MULTIAVCHD IS WHAT U NEED, ITS FREE AND CAN BE FOUND THROUGH THE TOOL SECTION.
    ITS VERY GOOD IVE USED IT LOADS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've just put the mkv 1280x720 NTSC files, through "multiAVCHD".

Success!

I simply burned the resulting two folders BDMV and HDAVCTN to a dvdr using imgburn.

Plays flawlessly - with menu - on BDPS350.

This will now be my standard method for transferring anything 'digital' to play through the S350.

Thanks guys for the pointers - what a relief.

(Maybe I only need to write the BDMV folder to the dvdr, as some have said?)

p.s. annoying that four mkv 45min files at approx 1.145 GB each totals about 4.66GB, which seems too much for the "4.7"GB dvdr?
    the dvdr shows up as having a "capacity" of 4.36GB not 4.7GB.
    (by the tiniest amount)
    Or have i got this wrong - can I get the four of them onto the AVCHD dvdr, do you think?
    Quote Quote  
  6. The difference is in how the term Giga is used. To disc manufacturers one Gig is 1000x1000x1000, or 1,000,000,000, bytes. To Windows 1 Gig is 1024x1024x1024, or 1,073,741,924 bytes.

So a 4,700,000,000 byte disc only holds about 4.36 GB of data.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes this is very clear - thankyou.

i wonder if there is some way to shave off the ends/starts/credits etc of each mkv clip somehow, within multiavchd,
    which would thus bring it down a tiny amount to 4.36gb

Multiavchd offers this "start/end clip" mkv capacity, but annoyingly might be not enough to bring under 4.36
    perhaps easier to burn to the larger capacity dvd, with at least more mkv files.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Not exactly what you're looking for, but it still might be useful to you. DVD+R has a slightly larger capacity than DVD-R - 4,700,372,992 vs. 4,707,319,808. It's not a lot, but if you're really close using DVD+R might be just big enough to keep you from having to edit. Another option would be to re-encode the audio to a lower bit rate.

Do note that DVD discs tend to have problems at the outer edges. Many here discourage people from filling discs up to 99% or more capacity. On better quality media you may not have problems, but it sounds like whatever you do you're going to be pushing the limits of single layer discs. I'd advise using either Taiyo Yuden or Vebatim discs if you're going to be doing that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thankyou for this point, jman - much appreciated.

And noted!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know if multiavchd stretches 4:3 avi/xvid files when transcoding to build its brd compatible disc-folders?

the "tv room" display seems to suggest sadly that it would.

i cant see a setting which says "retain 4:3 format".
    Quote Quote  
  11. Select your file in MEDIA tab and click "EDIT". You will see "Title properties" window, then click "TRANSCODE". There are resize/aspect ratio options for the transcoding process.

Dean
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wonderful!

but dean, if i have 21 files there all in 4:3 format, to be transcoded....... is there not "one setting" i can adjust which will apply to the whole disc? rather than doing your Edit method above for every vid file?

your program is wonderful...thankyou.
    Quote Quote  
  13. No, sorry
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sure thing, np.

i'm going to try to put the 21 4:3 files through, with no extra transcode info inputted from me, and just see if will indeed end up displaying anyway in the same 4:3 format that they are in now as avi/divx, when played through the S350.

thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'd suggest that you try one file and burn to DVD-RW for a test... just in case not to waste time.
    Quote Quote