VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just got a strange blue screen just couple of minutes ago. Here is the error message:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 3d
    BCP1: FFFFF88002D1B050
    BCP2: 0000000000000000
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: FFFFF880051842EE
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\102509-33930-01.dmp
    C:\Users\AlinTatoC\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-66238-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    Quote Quote  
  2. I am trying to install windows 7, after the instalation process,I either get a blue screen or the computer restarts. I tried a memory test available from windows 7 and I got a note where it was mentioned that "there is a hardware problem.
    What might be the problem? I really need help guys because it is the first time when I try to install windows and it doesn't start...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try a DOS memory tester. Did the install complete or was it part way?

Or just wipe the partition and start over.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The error may be caused by windows 7 initiating its default drivers for the graphics card in readiness for enabling 3d features.

Upon startup see if the system will enter safemode, if so disable all 3d enabled features and restart.

Report back.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by edDV
    You could try a DOS memory tester. Did the install complete or was it part way?

Or just wipe the partition and start over.
    I managed to install windows 7, 64bit version, it worked fine for 1 day, but then I tried to install a software and sudenlly I started to have problems, blue screen.
    I decided to reistall windows, 64bit. After the instalation windows 7 need to restart, it restarts and then when I get the message "loading for the first use" the system is crashing, and it does this non stop. I tried to install 3 times but I had the same problem.
    Now I managed to install the 32bit version, it works, at least for now. Is there any possibility that some hardware might have problems with the 64bit? Although it is quite strange because I just upgraded my pc, so all component are new, besides the memory.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to hear 32 bit is working.

I've had driver issues in the past with 64 bit (XP and Vista) and have no reason to need more than 3.5GB memory so I decided to play it safe and keep to 32bit for everything for now. I have enough other problems to solve.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by edDV
    Glad to hear 32 bit is working.

I've had driver issues in the past with 64 bit (XP and Vista) and have no reason to need more than 3.5GB memory so I decided to play it safe and keep to 32bit for everything for now. I have enough other problems to solve.
    It is strange that it worked for a while. Then when I tried to install office 2007 my problems started.
    I tried restoring the system to an earlier time when I didn't have problems but restore point failed also.
    I guess that if I would have problems with my hardware then I would have also when 32bit is installed.
    Maybe a good thing would be to go to the shop where I bought the components and ask them why it doesn't work with the 64bit.
    sometime after the instalation of windows 7 64bit, I got the blue screen, right before starting windows...very strange...
    Quote Quote  
  8. This is a new blue screen error:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 1000008e
    BCP1: C0000005
    BCP2: 82C372A0
    BCP3: 9F334BB4
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\103009-25490-01.dmp
    C:\Users\AlinTatoC\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-45287-0.sysdata.xml

With the 32bit version. worked quite fine for couple of days, but today after I updated the drivers of the graphic card, I started to have problems with the blue screen...
    I am starting to loose the patience with windows 7...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Bjs
    The error may be caused by windows 7 initiating its default drivers for the graphics card in readiness for enabling 3d features.

Upon startup see if the system will enter safemode, if so disable all 3d enabled features and restart.

Report back.
    How can I disable all features? Will it work ok if I disable them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seems like a hardware or display card driver issue.

I'm using an older 181-71 NVidia driver (8.15.11.8171 2/26/2009) with Win7 and 9800-GT with no problems.

NVidia has a new 191-07 (10/05/2009) driver recommended for Win7.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_191.07_whql.html
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_191.07_whql.html
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by edDV
    Seems like a hardware or display card driver issue.

I'm using an older 181-71 NVidia driver (8.15.11.8171 2/26/2009) with Win7 and 9800-GT with no problems.

NVidia has a new 191-07 (10/05/2009) driver recommended for Win7.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_191.07_whql.html
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_191.07_whql.html
    I did installed that driver earlier and then I started to have problems...
    Xp worked better so know I am trying to see where the problem is coming from...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft has a Compatibility Center, where you can find out if your HW/SW will work in Win7, or what you might need to do to get it to work:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Might want to have a look through there, especially regarding your video card.

There's also the Upgrade Advisor, which you can run from XP or Vista:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor
    Quote Quote  
  13. I left my computer on over night. Now in the morning I logged in, and the when loading the system crashed again with the same blue screen even in 32bit version of windows 7. After the system crashed windows started again, but after I log in using my password the system again crashes. It did like this for 4 times and them I shut down the pc, took one memory out and I started again and it worked. Now I don't know if it's coming from the video card or from the memory...or from something else...
    I managed to take of photo of the blue screen:

First blue screen:

Second was with the message: Memory management

Third was:

BY the way, I ran the Upgrade Advisor and everything is compatible from my system.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still F8 key when booting , then choose safe mode ... if you can get in, zip up the last few minidump files and upload them so problem can be investigated.

Im windows 7 64bit since beta testing.
    Quote Quote  
  15. First, MAJOR improvement in posting useful information. Now just remember to report back with solution results for future readers and you're there.

Google-searching the stop errors points to driver or hardware, possibly memory. Removing one of two sticks of RAM is simple, quick, and easy. Continued succesful boots in this state after four failures pretty good evidence. Next step is to remove the remaining RAM stick, and put the suspect module back in all by itself. If it fails, and then swapping the good stick back in solves the problem, I would take BOTH sticks back to the shop for replacement with a matching pair. Perhaps choose a different brand.

Actually a shining example of simple, quick, one-step no-damage easily-reversible troubleshooting with absolute confirmation of problem and solution, assuming the swap outlined above is performed.

You may still have a driver issue, be prepared to try several different Nvidia drivers.

BTW, most of the info on the BSOD is useless, standard text. The all-caps error msg, any file names mentioned, and the stop numbers and all other codes is really all that is needed.

Also, "installing MS Office 2007" is dramatically more useful than "installed a software". But, ya fixed it without even being asked, so kudos to you.

Would not recommend the 64-bit version of any Microsoft OS to anyone, much less a brand new one. If you want to waste some time and get frustrated, learn to ride a unicycle.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Nelson37
    First, MAJOR improvement in posting useful information. Now just remember to report back with solution results for future readers and you're there.

Google-searching the stop errors points to driver or hardware, possibly memory. Removing one of two sticks of RAM is simple, quick, and easy. Continued succesful boots in this state after four failures pretty good evidence. Next step is to remove the remaining RAM stick, and put the suspect module back in all by itself. If it fails, and then swapping the good stick back in solves the problem, I would take BOTH sticks back to the shop for replacement with a matching pair. Perhaps choose a different brand.

Actually a shining example of simple, quick, one-step no-damage easily-reversible troubleshooting with absolute confirmation of problem and solution, assuming the swap outlined above is performed.

You may still have a driver issue, be prepared to try several different Nvidia drivers.

BTW, most of the info on the BSOD is useless, standard text. The all-caps error msg, any file names mentioned, and the stop numbers and all other codes is really all that is needed.

Also, "installing MS Office 2007" is dramatically more useful than "installed a software". But, ya fixed it without even being asked, so kudos to you.

Would not recommend the 64-bit version of any Microsoft OS to anyone, much less a brand new one. If you want to waste some time and get frustrated, learn to ride a unicycle.
    Does is sound mainly like a memory issue to you or it could be also something else? Is there any possibility to be the motherboard?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Certainly your second example relates to memory management (not memory itself, though). The BAD_POOL_ERROR is quite unusual. Windows provides a pool of memory from which applications/drivers etc can borrow. At some point that borrowed memory has to be given back. You particular error is "the current thread attempted to free a non-allocated paged pool address". In plain(er) English, a driver tried to give back something it hadn't taken in the first place(!) Now, deep in the bowels of Windows - the kernel - where all the hardware drivers hang out they are explicitly trusted to do anything they like and the OS expects them to behave. If they don't then the OS shuts down because the consequences of carrying on are potentially damaging. The BSOD is actually the OS' way of protecting itself and giving information to the author of the driver. In the Mac world the very same thing happens but is, in Apple's creative way, called a "kernel panic".

Anyhoo, some driver on your system is misbehaving. Perhaps it is an older XP or Vista one. MS provide a tool specifically to help with identifying errant drivers:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms792872.aspx

I've never used it so cannot advise you in its use.

As suggested earlier, you should definitely boot into safe mode to see if things behave and then gradually reintroduce the non-generic hardware drivers. Start with the bare bones. Note, if you have installed Vista nVidia drivers then this could be problematic. Similarly, beta Windows 7 drivers from a hardware vendor would be prime suspects. Sadly, many vendors haven't bothered to get Win 7 drivers finalized. FWIW, my installation of 64-bit Win 7 went without a hitch. My nVidia card (7600GS) was found and had the latest drivers automatically installed. So...what hardware drivers have you updated/installed since installing Win 7? If so, did Windows warn you about installing any unsigned drivers?
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Certainly your second example relates to memory management (not memory itself, though). The BAD_POOL_ERROR is quite unusual. Windows provides a pool of memory from which applications/drivers etc can borrow. At some point that borrowed memory has to be given back. You particular error is "the current thread attempted to free a non-allocated paged pool address". In plain(er) English, a driver tried to give back something it hadn't taken in the first place(!) Now, deep in the bowels of Windows - the kernel - where all the hardware drivers hang out they are explicitly trusted to do anything they like and the OS expects them to behave. If they don't then the OS shuts down because the consequences of carrying on are potentially damaging. The BSOD is actually the OS' way of protecting itself and giving information to the author of the driver. In the Mac world the very same thing happens but is, in Apple's creative way, called a "kernel panic".

Anyhoo, some driver on your system is misbehaving. Perhaps it is an older XP or Vista one. MS provide a tool specifically to help with identifying errant drivers:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms792872.aspx

I've never used it so cannot advise you in its use.

As suggested earlier, you should definitely boot into safe mode to see if things behave and then gradually reintroduce the non-generic hardware drivers. Start with the bare bones. Note, if you have installed Vista nVidia drivers then this could be problematic. Similarly, beta Windows 7 drivers from a hardware vendor would be prime suspects. Sadly, many vendors haven't bothered to get Win 7 drivers finalized. FWIW, my installation of 64-bit Win 7 went without a hitch. My nVidia card (7600GS) was found and had the latest drivers automatically installed. So...what hardware drivers have you updated/installed since installing Win 7? If so, did Windows warn you about installing any unsigned drivers?
    I just intalled the latest from nvidia web site...nothing else and I was not warn about unsigned drivers.

I took also Memtest and the results are:

p1030411.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  19. In my experience, memory tests are almost completely useless. The failures tend to be of a random and intermittent nature. Sure, a test can identify a bad chip, but often the test shows nothing when the chip is, in fact, bad. Removal and/or Replacement testing can pinpoint a problem in a few minutes.

Could it be a bad motherboard? Sure, it could. It could be the phases of the moon, your cat, or bad karma. Anything is possible.

Taking a PC which has failed to boot four times in a row, removing ONE and ONLY ONE piece of hardware, with no other changes, and getting successful boots, now THAT is a good diagnostic test. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to follow it up by putting the PC back in the original condition, or with ONLY the suspect RAM stick in, getting the problem again, then swapping the good stick back, and solving the issue, AGAIN, this NAILS the bad RAM stick. Eliminate the bad RAM, Eliminate that particular problem.

Note that you may need to duplicate the on-all-night pre-condition for the test, often getting good and warm is necessary to reveal a failure.

Describe the results of this test, and if not performed, explain in detail your reasoning for not doing so.

Once this is done, then any other existing problems can be addressed. It is a process of elimination. If done with clear logic and not guesswork, with appropriate double-checking, this process ALWAYS repeat ALWAYS will arrive at the solution.
    Quote Quote