VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I usually use mkv2vob when I need to force a video down the picky PS3's throat. But in this particular case, mkv2vob is failing me. The video it produces has the audio coming in about 1.0 seconds before the video. (The audio does not gain or lose extra sync over time.) The original MKV plays with audio and video in sync.

A bit of hunting on these forums turned up the suggestion to use mencoder. Well, Winmenc, anyway. I gave that a go, but didn't get a usable result. I set the video to "copy" (as I know the PS3 can play the video as-is) and the audio to "AC3". What I got is a video that plays for about five seconds, but with audio only; the video portion is black. This is despite the fact that the file size is comparable to the original (in excess of 4GB).

It's disheartening. I'm using the latest versions of both applications. The sync issue with mkv2vob is apparently very common; Google is filled with people asking about it. But solutions are hard to come by.

Anyway, what I'm after is some kind of fix. Mkv2vob does at least give me a MPG video I can watch, as long as I don't mind having the video lag behind the audio by a full second. I'd see about ripping the audio out, manually adjusting it, and remuxing, but neither Vdub nor AE (nor, of course, PPro, since the resolution is atypical) are capable of understanding what to do with the file. Not that I would be happy with such a process.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tried stream with ps3 media server? Or I guess you don't have any network connection or something.

And for manual vob/mpg muxing I don't think it will be that easy cause mkv2vob does create a special vob with h264 video and ac3 and standard vob muxers wont work then.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TSMuxer has the option of delaying an audio track.

Try it and then convert with mkv2vob.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rhegedus

@Rhegdus - why not suggest making an avchd with tsmuxer? Can't it do that with a mkv? If so that might be worth exploring too. - Edit - and my ps3 has played all my avchd discs I've made from my hauppauge hd pvr with the arcsoft software it comes with.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've given up on playing any type of video from the USB port on my PS3. So I bought a WD Media player for hard disk USB use and although it doesn't have many features, it will not refuse to play just about anything. I set up a hard disk with one HD video in multiple formats. None of them played as they should on the PS3. Every format played just fine on the WD device.

My personal opinion...If anything needed a modded firmware to play video, the PS3 surely does.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Originally Posted by rhegedus

@Rhegdus - why not suggest making an avchd with tsmuxer? Can't it do that with a mkv? If so that might be worth exploring too. - Edit - and my ps3 has played all my avchd discs I've made from my hauppauge hd pvr with the arcsoft software it comes with.
    Yeah - wasn't thinking. AVCHD will work provided it's within the FAT32 file size limit. If not, run it through multiAVCHD to make it PS3 compatible - that will work.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cal_tony
    I've given up on playing any type of video from the USB port on my PS3. So I bought a WD Media player for hard disk USB use and although it doesn't have many features, it will not refuse to play just about anything. I set up a hard disk with one HD video in multiple formats. None of them played as they should on the PS3. Every format played just fine on the WD device.

My personal opinion...If anything needed a modded firmware to play video, the PS3 surely does.

Tony
    I haven't had any problems getting video to play on PS3 from either HDD or flash drive. It's actually quite forgiving.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    rhegedus,

....."quite forgiving"

You may be right in your case, but I've had nothing but problems in using the USB port on my PS3 for video. For me Vobs take an extra effort so they play with audio. Out of 6 sequential 1 gb vobs there's always one the shows up as not having any audio. Yet when I plug the same hard disk into one of my 5990s, my WD device or my computer, they play with audio.

As Asterra said above...."when I need to force a video down the picky PS3's throat"

That the way I feel about the PS3. So for $100 for the WD no more problems. I don't think there is anything wrong with my PS3. It always works just fine with commercial disks. For anything else, its just too picky for me.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @rhegdus -
    AVCHD will work provided it's within the FAT32 file size limit. If not, run it through multiAVCHD to make it PS3 compatible - that will work.
    I think I have done dual layer avchd on the ps3 without problems - though I don't remember for sure.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @cal_tony

why are you playing VOBs off a USB?

@yoda313

FAT32 does not apply to optical disks
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm. Okay, tried out tsmuxer. After a short wait, I got:

"Unsupported Media Type 4 For Blu-Ray Muxing"

And sure enough, nothing can play the resulting disc. This may have something to do with the fact that the resolution of the video is 1280x528. Or it may not.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not seeing how to add a delay to the audio with tsmuxer. Documentation seems to be absent. It's not part of the gui (or if it is, it's very well hidden).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And... huh. Well I made a .ts with tsmuxer (just to see if this process would eventually work) but then mkv2vob didn't like it, saying that the .ts file used an unsupported audio codec. I don't see any options to force tsmuxer to keep the audio as-is. Blah.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Asterra
    This may have something to do with the fact that the resolution of the video is 1280x528.
    Yes, everything to do with the video resolution - it's not Blu-Ray standard. You'll have to use it as a data file.

Originally Posted by Asterra
    Not seeing how to add a delay to the audio with tsmuxer.
    Load tsMuxerGUI. Add your video file. Click on the audio stream and delay should be listed in the window underneath in track options.

Output to AVCHD.

Author with multiAVCHD to whatever destination format you want.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="rhegedus"]@cal_tony

why are you playing VOBs off a USB?

Because I have a number of 1tb harddisks with copies of my purchased TV series disks and TV programs copied off the air. I leave everything thats already in vob format in vob format. Harddisk space is cheap. Re-encoding takes less space but it takes time.

My disappointment with the PS3 is that it will play many things on an optical disk but just refuses to play the same stuff off it's USB ports. Lots of other devices are not quite so picky.

As a Bluray disk player, I'm quite happy with my PS3. It is its inability play stuff off the USB port that bothers me. For example.. I made up an AVCHD video on a disk and it plays just fine. The same video folder will not play off the USB port. My USB ports will not play .ts , m2ts or mkv files.

I find that irksome.

Tony
    Quote Quote