VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all

I currently have 3 pcs connected to a samsung 2493HM monitor (via VGA, DVI, and HMDI). When I capture on the pc which is connected to the monitor via HDMI cable (using a DVI to HDMI adapter), capturing stops if I press the 'Source' button on my monitor when I want to switch to one of the other pcs.

This has happened with 3 different capture programs (Sony Vegas Pro 8, Ulead Movie Factory 4, HDV split).

Capturing on the other 2 pcs (which are connected via VGA and DVI) causes no problems at all. I can swap sources on the monitor and capturing keeps going smoothly.

I've done some testing on the computer that's having the problem by swapping some cables around. If I connect it to the monitor using a VGA cable or DVI cable capturing goes smoothly. I can swap sources and capturing continues. It only occurs when I connect it to the monitor using a HDMI cable (which connects to my graphics card through a HDMI to DVI adapter).

So basically I can't seem to fix this problem. I need all 3 pcs hooked up to the same monitor and I need to capture on the pc in question while working on the other two.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this problem I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions you have.

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheeers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sure, don't use HDMI on the capture computer. Use DVI instead and use HDMI on one of the other computers. It sounds like your video card is shutting off when the HDMI port isn't being used and that disrupts the capture. HDMI uses a 'handshake' between the video card and the display. HDMI can be a PITA. (And was apparently designed that way. )
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure, don't use HDMI on the capture computer. Use DVI instead and use HDMI on one of the other computers.
    Sometimes the best solutions are the simplest ! Two of the computers are used exclusively for editing, and the third is an email/internet pc with a really old graphics card. I thought it only had vga outputs but I checked it again and it has a VGA and a DVI, sweeet! So I can run it into the monitor via HDMI and the other two should capture fine now.

Thanks also for the info about HDMI. I thought it must have worked differently to VGA and DVI, like a signal was being sent 'back' to the pc or something.

Cheers redwudz I really appreciate your help!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    with a really old graphics card
    So old in fact that it doesn't support DVI to HDMI output The screen flicked on and off for a couple of seconds and then just went black. I wonder if an updated driver would fix that...?? Reckon they'd have updated drivers for a card that's over 5 years old...?? Time for me to go searching I think...

Thanks again redwudz, at least I know that HDMI is the cause of the original problem.

Cheers
    Quote Quote