VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, wondering if you can help out. I have an old Canopus ADVC100 that used to work flawlessy with Windows XP years ago when transferring VHS tapes.

Since then, I've upgraded to a new computer with Vista 64 and, for some reason, I cannot get this thing to work anymore. When I plug it in via firewire, it appears that Vista recognizes it, but then when I hook it up to my VCR, I'm not getting anything at all coming through. Neither Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 or Windows Movie Maker seem to even recognize its existance.

Is there a possible fix that I'm missing or do I need to upgrade to the Canopus ADVC300 or something more modern?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lamotta77
    Hey guys, wondering if you can help out. I have an old Canopus ADVC100 that used to work flawlessy with Windows XP years ago when transferring VHS tapes.

Since then, I've upgraded to a new computer with Vista 64 and, for some reason, I cannot get this thing to work anymore. When I plug it in via firewire, it appears that Vista recognizes it, but then when I hook it up to my VCR, I'm not getting anything at all coming through. Neither Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 or Windows Movie Maker seem to even recognize its existance.

Is there a possible fix that I'm missing or do I need to upgrade to the Canopus ADVC300 or something more modern?

Thanks!
    The Canopus ADVC-100 is a hardware analog to DV (IEEE-1394) device. It has no drivers and shouldn't differ between OS versions. It is just DV. No machine control, just a DV stream source.

The problem is other.

You obviously had to reinstall CS4. Did you remember to turn off device control?

Did you try WinDV?

The ADVC-300 will not differ. The ADVC-300 remote control software may not be Vista 64bit ready.

PS: I have my ADVC-100 working flawlessly with Mac OSX, XP, XPpro, Vista Home Premium, Vista Ultimate and the Win7 RC. I'm not using 64 bit yet on any of these because of driver or application support issues.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I understand what the device does, but I was just checking to make sure that Vista wasn't the problem. Perhaps a firewire setting in the device manager or something. It was listed there as working properly, but wanted to be sure.

I didn't turn off the device control, but it didn't work with Windows Movie Maker either which led me to believe there could be a problem.

Haven't tried WinDV though. Might try that next.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, success with WinDV! Nice! Thanks for the recommendation on that. Would have probably never thought of it myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lamotta77
    Ah, success with WinDV! Nice! Thanks for the recommendation on that. Would have probably never thought of it myself.
    CS4 and Vegas DV capture have too many settings to trap you. WinDV is a pure play.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote