VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought and downloaded PowerDVD 9 Dlx, installed it, but when entering the 6 part activation code, an error box pops up saying that it can't connect to the 'activation server'. I tried turning off Vista firewall, and running the program as admin, and got the same error. I've emailed CyberLink tech support --no response. Any one know what would be causing me not to connect to their server. I am able to surf web, so it's not a connection issue on my end.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our software playing section as powerdvd is not a standalone/desktop dvd player.

What is the exact error message?

But I don't understand why cyberlink can't help you....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick response. The error msg reads:
    Activating now...Processing online activation...please wait.

Cyberlink PowerDVD was not activated because a connection to the activation server could not be established. Check your internet connection and then try again.' Already tried over 15 times, with Vista firewall on/off, running program normally, and as 'admin'. I'm able to surf the web just fine, and am able to visit the Cyberlink website. I'm using 'no script' in my firefox browser...could that be preventing me from connecting? I've already allowed full scripts to their web site, and still the error happens....any ideas anyone????Thx
    Quote Quote  
  4. Even though this post is a year old I ran into the same problem with version 10 of the PowerDVD software. And I, too, wrote to the company and received only silence. On my 8th attempt this morning I found that removing uppercase letters in my registration address allowed a connection to the registration server. I had noticed when I attempted to open the program a second time after a connection failure that there was a message at the top of the registration window that said that the problem with the previous registration was an "invalid" email address. Not exactly true but I guessed at the needed change.

Its unfortunate that there is one feature of PowerDVD that I need. I can't imagine what idiot would program a registration screen to only accept lower case letters in the email! And then the error message gives no hint of the real problem. But the only indicator of the actual problem requires re-reading all of the text on the registration screen (error is not highlighted in red). And "customer service" is ?????.

Enough venting. I hope I can find an alternative software but maybe this will help someone else who may also need this software or has actually purchased a copy and is encountering the same frustration.

T
    Quote Quote  
  5. Found that the open source player VLC Media Player had the playback speed controls that I needed. I read that the BSPlayer player has speed control as well but I didn't test this one. PowerDVD comes off my computer - I can't support a product that costs me that much just to install when there are alternatives! - T
    Quote Quote