VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now that some of my channels are being phased out and require the use of a Comcast DTA box, I was wondering if a store-bought one would, or could be made to, do the same thing. Is the Comcast box proprietary in some way?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No set-top device that you buy in a store can completely replace a Comcast cable box. TiVos or MOXIEs with Comcast CableCARDs installed will be the closest, but on-demand programming won't be available.

The coupon-elegible DTA converter boxes can't tune digital cable, even unecrypted digital cable (clear QAM). That was a requirement for coupon eligibility.

Some non-coupon eligible converter boxes will tune clear QAM, but the bulk of Comcast's digital channels are encrypted or switched digital video.

I received notice last week that my analog channel list was being reduced by 8 channels. To retain the same channels I have now, my only option is to sign up for Digital Starter, and install a cable box. They give you one free SD cable box with the service. There is an additional charge if more SD cable boxes are needed, or if you want a DVR or an HD cable box.

If they are eliminating analog service except for Basic Cable (local channels plus a few others), Comcast is providing Standard Cable customers with 2 or 3 free SD cable boxes. That is what happened in my sister's case, but because they have not yet done that where I am, I only get one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply.

I'm in a similar situation. I signed up for their very basic cable (antenna) package some years ago when my own antenna reception was going downhill. Along with this service, a few other channels like TV Land & the History channel were thrown in (perhaps by accident). Now that I'm losing them, I might just switch back to antenna, now that digital has breathed new life into it.

Do you think I could get a Comcast box to work for me if it was provided by a friend who has an extra one that was never installed? He said that during the initial install of the first one, he had to phone in the serial number & it was cross-referenced to his account before they would activate it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by locust78
    Do you think I could get a Comcast box to work for me if it was provided by a friend who has an extra one that was never installed? He said that during the initial install of the first one, he had to phone in the serial number & it was cross-referenced to his account before they would activate it.
    No. I think you answered your own question. Comcast keeps records regarding the equipment and service plan for each account and activation is required before equipment can be used, so they would know that the box was not rightfully yours to use. BTW your friend is responsible for the box, and will need to turn it in if he discontinues his Comcast service.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, say this friend registered & set up this extra box to work on an analog TV he has. If he loaned me this box, would it work for me (at my house)?
    Also, since this box is being sent to him free of charge (no montly leasing fees), Is he free to do with it as he pleases?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by locust78
    Okay, say this friend registered & set up this extra box to work on an analog TV he has. If he loaned me this box, would it work for me (at my house)?
    Also, since this box is being sent to him free of charge (no montly leasing fees), Is he free to do with it as he pleases?
    I have no idea whether the box would work at your house or not. I have a hunch Comcast would say what you are planning violates somebody's service agreement (either yours or your friends). The boxes privide 2 way communication so they may have a way to tell that you have connected a cable box that isn't rightfully yours. I would advise against doing it.

[edit] In other words, if you want more channels than you will receive with your current subscription after Comcast makes its planned changes, then you'll need to pay for them like everybody else.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I work for C*mcast and no, you cannot use any box assigned to someone else's acct. Serial numbers are associated with the acct they are assigned to and without that serial number on your acct, the signal cannot be activated to make the box work. And no, he shouldn't do with it as he pleases. If he ever closes his acct and that box isn't accounted for it will be listed as missing/unreturned equipment and the minimum cost for paying for it is around $50.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by imjustagirl View Post
    I work for C*mcast and no, you cannot use any box assigned to someone else's acct. Serial numbers are associated with the acct they are assigned to and without that serial number on your acct, the signal cannot be activated to make the box work. And no, he shouldn't do with it as he pleases. If he ever closes his acct and that box isn't accounted for it will be listed as missing/unreturned equipment and the minimum cost for paying for it is around $50.
    Thanks for the info, but what the hell? In your spare time you search the internet to see if someone, somewhere is talking about using Comcast boxes in violation of Comcast's terms so you can respond to it? You REALLY need to get a life.

For those not smart enough to check post history, imjustagirl joined us specifically to make that post.
    Quote Quote