VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all

Okay, for the heck of it i decided to take my PC upstairs to jack it into my 54" SD tv.

This is the first time i have tried so i may be missing something.

My video card has a plug on it that can either be used as a SVHS output or it has an adapter that has component plugs on the end of it.

The plug on the video card actually has 6 pins if i recall correctly, i know there are more than the 4 pins that are standard in SVHS cables.

If i hook it up with a SVHS cable it works fine but when i tried to hook it up through the component cable(s) it had a picture until just after the round MS vista logo then it goes all squigly then just a bunch of B&W dots or tearing across the whole screen and you can't see the desktop or anything.

I know the component input is fine because i have our 360 hooked up through them and it works fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by noahtuck
    If i hook it up with a SVHS cable it works fine but when i tried to hook it up through the component cable(s) it had a picture until just after the round MS vista logo then it goes all squigly then just a bunch of B&W dots or tearing across the whole screen and you can't see the desktop or anything.
    Ok did you change the setting on the desktop to output via component?

Also are you using the proper breakout box? I know the nvidia I used before I got my current ati card had a specific breakout box that you had to use for component. It had the specialized svideo type jack that plugged into the video card. From there it had the output jacks for the component cables.

I don't have nvidia anymore so I can't do a screen shot for you. I'm nearly 99% certain you'll need to tell it to use component out. Also is your resolution too high? Try 800x600.....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah i have the correct "breakout" box or adapter as it came with the card.
    The jack on the adapter and on the card are at least 6 pins where the SVHS cable is only 4 pins.

Ya know, i was wondering about changing a setting, but even in the manual it just says to have the TV turned on first then turn on the PC and it will auto detect.

But i did go through all my Nvidia settings and did not see any kind of settings for it ?

As a matter of fact it states that just for the component hookup, it does not even say it will work with an SVHS cable, i just tried it first to see.
    And it worked!!

Like i can see the bootup/post info, then the load screen where the little green bar is rolling, then the MS round vista logo ?

The it just goes poof and all whacko!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh you mean as a simple svhs pass through?

One other thing - are you up to date on your drivers? THere might be better layout options for your menu choices.

But I am confused:

You're sd tv has a component input on it? Is this a crt hdtv?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes on the drivers.

And yeah it's a SDTV, no crt, it's a rear projection SD tv and yes it has component inputs 8)

Our 360 works great through them.

Oh you mean as a simple svhs pass through?
    Not sure what you mean ?

The adapter and the jack on the video card have SEVEN pins & SEVEN holes, the other end of the adapter has THREE phono or RCA female plugs.

SVHS only has 4 pins.

But the owners manual does not even say anything about SVHS as an option, i just noticed it was basically the same style jack so i plugged in an SVHS cable and it fit so i hooked it up and it worked.

But nadda on the component hookup.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is the adapter for use with component cables.

And this is the back of my card.

Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Okay i tried this but i will have to chug my system back upstairs and hook it all up again to test it.

But it seem's weird i did not have to mess with it the first time and SVHS worked.

Besides, it had to have seen the TV because i saw all the boot/post info and even the load screen before it went all fuzzy using the component cables.

Hmmm.....

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure what you mean ?
    I just mean you used the svideo to go from svideo to svideo with the adapter.

And yeah it's a SDTV, no crt, it's a rear projection SD tv and yes it has component inputs cool.gif
    Really? That must be some kind of hybrid I didn't know about. Are you sure its not really an EDTV? The ones that can do 480p?

-------

As I mentioned earlier have you tried different resolutions for your component connection?
    Quote Quote