VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear readers,

For some time now I have been trying to figure out how I can watch these files on my blu ray player.

I have the BD-P1600 blu ray player(latest firmware 2.04) and an external hard disk which is formatted as ntfs.

I downloaded 3 mkv files but I can only watch 1 of those. For the other 2 files my player says ''Can't read this format''.

The problem is that I have no clue what the difference between these files are and why it plays this one file but doesn't play the other two.

I downloaded the program MediaInfo and uploaded a picture of 2 mkv files.

My blu ray player does read the Dexter file but it can't read the Jericho file.

mkv.bmp

I hope someone has an explanation for it and knows what I am supposed to do to watch all my mkv files.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english,

Greetings Thom
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use FAT32, not NTFS.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply. I formatted to FAT32 but the same problem remains.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oh, sorry, I misread your original post. Your TV can read the drive and play some of the MKV files but not one in particular.

Which of the two files in the BMP file is the one that doesn't play? The one on the left? It's probably the 5.1 profile. I believe most hardware players are limited to 4.1 or 4.2.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it's the one on the left. Is there a program where I can change the format profile with?

My third file however has format profile; simple@l3 and doesn't play either.

Thanks again for your reply.
    Quote Quote  
  6. LOL. I just noticed the big red "does not work" at the bottom of your image. Check the number of reference frames "ReFrames" on the l3 profile file. There may also be a problem with the number of consecutive b-frames but I don't think MediaInfo shows that.

I believe it's possible to change the profile that's flagged in the h.264 headers. That doesn't change the actual encoded video properties but may be enough to get the TV to play the video (with occasional problems). I don't know what program does this though. Otherwise you'll have to reencode the video with appropriate settings.

h.264 has a lot of encoding features that most playback hardware does not support. Unfortunately, many people just crank up all the settings thinking it will make their videos better.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hehe, I edited the picture so you couldn't have seen it in the first place :P.

The third file apparently is a bit different, it's format is MPEG-4 and it doesn't show reframes in mediainfo.

See picture; mkv3.bmp

I'm totally new to this so sorry if my questions are a bit silly.

I thought maybe there was a simple solution to this problem but it certainly doesn't appear so.

Otherwise you'll have to reencode the video with appropriate settings.
    That seems to be an easier solution.

Could you point me in the right direction of what those settings would be and which program I should use?

Sorry again for my poor english and thanks for helping me out!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Your english is great. It's my reading that's been poor!

I don't see anything that sticks out in that Xvid AVI file. Since your player plays h.264 MKV with 1280x720 frame sizes it probably also plays Xvid AVI at that frame size. It doesn't have the Xvid features that usually cause problems: GMC and QPEL. There is one feature that might be a problem but MediaInfo doesn't report it: packed bitstream. You can open that file in Mpeg4Modifier and chang it from packed bitstream to not (or vice versa) and see if that makes any difference. You can also try remuxing into an MKV container with MkvMergeGUI.

If it comes to reencoding I would recommend you use MeGUI. The DXVA and Standalone profiles will probably work with your TV.
    Quote Quote