VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I attached a picture of the menu.

The circled episode in red was not selectable the first time I burned a DVD. All other episodes you see there were fine except for the red one. If I pressed "play all" I could watch that red circled episode but I could not select it at the menu. I went back the authoring menu, moved the icons around a little bit and tried it again. This time, after buring the DVD the blue circled one was the only one that wasn't selectable. Seems like there's always one episode I can't select.

any idea to what is going on?

thanks

arabikidanavstdvd.jpg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD specification is a simple beast. Simple things can trip it up. The most likely reason in this case, from what I can see in your image and from your description, is that the red circled button was overlapping slightly with another button. You may not over lap buttons in the DVD spec. Shifting the position slightly probably stopped the overlapping and solved the problem.

Playback of chapters when watching a title has nothing at all to do with the chapter having buttons on a menu.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the highlight area for this button exists (button selectable on PC with mouse), then the only thing preventing that button from selecting can be wrong adjacent button mapping. Each button stores 4 numbers for the buttons right, left, up and down from it. If that button' number is not mentioned in any other button, you can't select it with </> keys on remote (you can try it using numeric keys) unless it is selected on opening the menu. Such a problem could happen in TDA2/3 after manual button re-arrangement in a template. This is editable of course (DVDRemake or PGCEdit); in TDA3 this can be corrected internally with 'Links editor'.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you guys for the posts. From what it sounds like, it probably is due to wrong adjacent button mapping. Your description however, makes it sound like if the buttons are not close enough to each other, then the button will not be selectable which seems to contradict guns1inger's advice. I will try rearranging them both in closer proximity and farther and see if there is any change.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by uglijimus
    ...like if the buttons are not close enough to each other, then the button will not be selectable...
    The distance doesn't matter, the authoring applications based on WYGIWYS just use directional data between highlight rectangles, some of them make mistakes (sometimes) at remapping the buttons you move. To solve your problem faster, open your disc in PGCEdit, highlight menu PGC -> menu button -> edit. You'll see the picture of adjacent button numbers for each button (selectable from that very menu). Adjust and save.
    As for overlapping of button highlights, it can make other problems like highlighting parts of a non-selected button, adjacent to currently selected. But this is not forbidden (since those rectangles are not pictures, just numbers in a table) and in special cases may be used for making specially shaped closely placed buttons. To prevent unwanted highlighting in overlapped areas, 3 different color schemes with opacity control can be used. Not in every application possible, of course.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I figured out the solution. If you press the HL button, it shows the links between the selected video and it's pathway. For whatever reason, sometimes the video at the bottom of the screen would be connected to a video that's 3 videos away from it. When you press the HL, you can move the video around until it links up with the video above and below it.

thanks for your responses
    Quote Quote