VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an .avi file, .srt file, sub.sfv file and a .nfo file.

If I'm understanding this right, I'm just going to use the .avi file (which is the movie) and the .srt file (subtitles)....?

What are the other files for?
    Is there anywhere that has a run down on subtitle files and which ffmpegX can use?

Thx.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    .avi -- multimedia container format (audio and video) for 'Video for Windows'
    .srt -- subtitle file in SubRip format
    .sfv -- checksum file, for verifying that what you downloaded is the same as what was made available for download. checkSum+ can process these files.
    .nfo -- plain text file with information from the release group. For historical (BBS days) reasons Code Page 437 (an 8 bit text encoding with its own character map) is still in use, one that is used to make large graphics with characters ( etc.). There are a few NFO viewers that render these old school characters (Gumby).

There are many online guides on subtitles, as any search engine will point you to them. For example these: wiki 1, wiki 2, wiki 3, multimedia wiki 1, multimedia wiki 2, AfterDawn, Podnapisi, Annodex.
    .srt (SubRip) is a very popular subtitle format for DivX AVIs. As it is text-based, it is easy to fix lines or times.

ffmpegX claims some form of support for VobSub, SubRip, MicroDVD, SubViewer, Sami, VPlayer, RT, SSA, AQTitle, JACOsub and MPsubt formats.
    Quote Quote