VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi Penny;

So - now I read your e-mail exactly........

[QUOTE=winapenny;2035483]
    Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Grateful if you could share more details:
    1. What Ubuntu version you were using; 7.10
    2. How to you "mount" the DVDR3455H hard disk (command line or Disk Utility);Using Ubuntu's own "mount disk" option
    3. What kind of file system did you recognized; Don't remember - but it wasn't DOS or Linux.
    4. How is the video files you "copied" looks like? Readily playable in your Windows PC? No - I tried and Ubuntu wouldn't play them and nor would windows. They went onto the new disk in the DVD recorder and then I downloaded them as usual.

Many many thanks! De Nada!

Penny
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've tried to do similar, put the drive into Ubuntu, and mount it but there is no valid partition table so no partitions to mount.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is this a liteon clone? If so there is a HDD hack to expand the supported hard drive size to 512GB.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Its fairly easy to upgrade the internal drive, just replace with another larger IDE drive, burn a cd with the latest firmware from the phillips website burnt as in the instructions they give, then once the firmware had been loaded go into the dvd player menu and erase the drive which formats it in its own native format. I've got a 320GB drive in mine now. Unless you mean theres a hack to expand to a larger drive but keeping the existing data? If so can you provide a link to it? I've got the original drive and spare IDE drives around so happy to give it a go and report back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cool. I know some mfg. limit the drive size according to the model you bought. Liteon and Philips have both done this. But the Philips one was aliteon clone... The Ilo is another, and the Gateway. There are a few more too.... Glad it was so easy for you. Does a SCANDISK (if that exists in your unit) not cause any problem with larger drive ? And do you get all the space of a new bigger HDD too? f so that is great!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

i have one problem. My hard drive burned out. now i'm trying to exchange it to new one but i have one problem. I can't find FIRMWARE to my PHILIPS DVDR 3360H anywhere :/

Anyone hae any idea where i can find it?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I think I found your firmware here (on Philips' website).

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=DVDR3360H/58&scy=AT&slg=en

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=DVDR3360H/31&scy=AT&slg=en

Check the model number carefully. It appears there are two variants. I had to choose Austria for the country.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank You.

But there is Firmware upgrade not just firmware. Is it the same?
    I'll try tommorow and we'll see..
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by allskar View Post
    Thank You.

But there is Firmware upgrade not just firmware. Is it the same?
    I'll try tommorow and we'll see..
    It's the same. A firmware upgrade might be an improved version of the stock firmware. Compare the version numbers. Usually, the newer firmware improves performance and removed bugs. But if you need to get the original firmware, that could be difficult unless it is on Philips' website as well.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank You!

I work's i was close to put it to the garbage

So for sure it works also for DVDR 3360H
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I came across this thread hunting for possible fixes for my 3345. It had been working just fine - all functions. A surge or something came down the wire that messed up the power board on my plasma (thank God for extended warranty plans!) and messed up the cable box. so, I had the TV fixed and called cable to deal with the box. I didn't take note of the HDR until some time later. It has no video output other than a white screen with a black vertical line. The front display is very dim, almost illegible. The DVD drive opens and spins, the harddisc spins, the cooling fan runs. I'm pretty handy so replacing boards is a piece of cake - if I know which board to replace and where to get it.

Anybody got any clues? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  12. If I had to guess, I'd say the power supply got fried. Most likely it's a separate board, but I do not remember.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A Philips disk format can be copied to another disk in Windows (or any other OS as disc is bootable) by using
    Easeus disk copy. Download the ISO file and burn to a CD. This CD is bootable. Boot into Easeus and follow instructions for copy disk. The Philips original disk, of course, must be OK in its machine. On the new disk the format will be overwritten. Whatever format, or not, doesn't appear to matter on the new disk. Disk copy recognises Usb so both disks can be put into Usb caddies.
    You can probably abort copy disk around 2Gb (Poss 1GB) as 80Gb takes about 2hrs. I have done both and actually the 2Gb copy loaded easier into machine, the 80Gb messed me about.
    My machine is a 3300H but I assume same format on all later Philips.
    Last edited by Dickiemint; 5th Feb 2011 at 07:23.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd say crack that unit open and post us a picture of the innards. The power supply may have protection diodes. If so you will see a burn mark or if you are handy with an ohm meter you can check for continuity. It really does sound like a fried power supply board. Some voltages I guess are getting thru (white vieo you describe). But not all are correct. Maybe the 5V line is hosed.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I followed the instructions posted by dphirschler: I formatted the WD HD [the original 160GB that came with the player] using Swissknife once, but after that I tried using WD Format utility (FAT 32). Then I used the Upgrade code available from the philips site. (upgrade code for DVDR3455H/97). However, as soon as the upgrade is complete, the player/ recorder reboots and actually keeps on rebooting....

I seem to reach nowhere...

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

tech-guy
    Last edited by tech-guy; 24th Feb 2011 at 15:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What happens if you boot the unit with NO hard drive ? Do you at least get an error message ? If it does a continual reboot after removing the HDD you have a bigger problem. Again I will say that perhaps a picture or two may help in diagnosis. The higher the resolution the better. (especially of the power supply area of the main board). I presume you also tried to NOT format the drive and let the Philips try to do that at startup? Most of these units will handle formatting the hard drive. If you have the firmware maybe you need a patch for bigger hdd ? Is this a liteon clone? I am no tfamiliar with ths particular unit.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

At last and after several attemps, I managed to get my philips DVDR3455H/97 to work with my original HDD (160GB).

Thanks to the guys in this forum and other forums.

Problem Description:

DVDR keeps on rebooting and rebooting moving between HDD and DVD. So, what I did is Low level formatted HDD, then completely formatted it with NTFS (since the low level format was made in FAT32). I used the code availablein Philips website (the upgrade code). I inserted the upgrade CD in the dvd tray, powered up the recorder, it wen through the normal sequence of copy/load/boot/write/verify/boot and the DVDR was finally recovered!

Of course, since the upgrade code I used is meant for US based devices, I had to change the region code from 3 to suitable one for my region. After that, the player is able to play any DVD.

However, I now have a different problem!

The player does not record anything on HDD, whether this was time shift buffer recording or actual recording (REC).

This is really strange and funny at the same time!... A DVD recorder that does not record!

Appreciate any help!

Thanks,

tech-guy
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello again!

Looks like I solved the problem related to recording and just now!

It runs out that you got to go the SETUP, to the settings for the TIME SHIFT BUFFER and erase the Hard Disk completely. This will reformat the HDD and let the player recognize it in its own format, the one suitable for all kinds of recording.

Now, I have a completely running DVDR.

Good luck to everyone,

tech-guy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well done. Glad you got it going! Documented for posterity on this thread. SO tell me is the HDD you low level formatted the ORIGINAL HDD or a NEW Wester Digital that you mentioned ? I am wondering if you can put a bigger HDD in there and do the ERASE just the same ?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Slightly different problem with mine; the tuner lost a station, then another one, then a few more.
    I took it apart and noticed the level of DUST on the circuit boards, to be fair a lot of it may have been dog dander from the dog's bed that was within 3 ft for several years.
    I vacuumed it out, re-assembled and most of the stations re-appeared.
    Not satisfied I opened it up again and took a camera lens brush to it to loosen up the "sticky dust" layer - probably from dog skin oil. Vacuumed again and the tuner behaves like new.

I think it makes sense, additional paths (albeit high resistance paths) across PC boards can be significant at radio frequencies.

I am now considering a MUCH larger disc drive, heck terabytes can be had for under $100 now.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by lmonfa View Post
    Hi Folks,

Following how to solved the BLOCKED problem at DVDR 3455H philips. I've posted some pictures about it.
    Have fun.

lmonfa
    Thanks so much! It helped to fix the BLOCKED problem in my Philips DVDR3590H.

When I opened my DVD drive I saw (as in page 6 para. 6) my black drive belt had lost a bit of tension. Was not sure if I could find the new belt from the electronic shop, so I used an improvised method:

- Took out the old belt, took some piping tape (for water leakage) & row into a string, wrap the string around the larger wheel (on the left) 3 to 4 times (to increase the circumference of the larger wheel) & then tie a dead knot for the 2 ends, put back the old belt. The black drive belt now has better tension. The DVD tray opens without problem thereafter.

This could be a temporary solution until you find a new drive belt.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    I have the problem of the lost tuner reception as well. I thought the problem was my outside antenna or the coax in the wall had been compromised by a critter. When I bypassed the DVR and went straight to the TV set my reception came back - not only did I lose stations when the DVR was on but also when it was off via the pass through. I'll try the cleaning route, but it seems like something else is wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know if the "Philips DVDR3576H HDD & DVD Player / Recorder" sold in the U.S. uses the same technology as the Philips DVDR 3455H? I haven't found any posts on the 3576 model, also with a 160GB HDD, nor have I been able to get any information from Philips directly. They claim to have no technical information on this unit which was discontinued approx. 5 years ago. Such as shame that they don't provide Tech Support for such a great product.

I am looking for the HDD recording format (FAT32?), HDD type (still IDE?), source for the setup CD image (if there is one for this model), updated firmware to fix the annoying glitch that causes lockups during editing, the procedure for scanning for and repairing hard disk errors (if it's not FAT32), installing a new HDD (if a boot CD is required as in this model), etc. I would also like to find a list of the "System Error" codes displayed on the main screen and sometimes left in the Timer Programming screen after a recording, eg. SE1, SE2, SE40, SE49, etc. I am sure the latter ones refer to disk errors, but short of busting a unit and disassembling the code within, can anyone help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does this work only for DVDR 3455H?
    Anyone knows if it can be done successfully for other Philips DVD Recorder as well, such as DVDR 3300H or 3590H?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hi, I´ve been having an annoying problem. A little help would be appreciated. My recorder (phillips 3455h) sometimes gets stuck at the beggining blue sreen. Right after you turn it on. I have to unplug/plug it again to get it to work. So i decided to re install the firmware on the thing. A year ago it got this same failure and re installing the firmware fixed it. So i formatted the hdd in fat32. Now every time I Place firmware disc in the drive it spins for a couple of seconds and then ejects the tray. I have tried to copy the disc every way i can think of. Is there a special program or way to copy it? is there an image of the HDD around so i can clone that image to the hdd and get the thing working? THX
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Joseman View Post
    Hi, I´ve been having an annoying problem. A little help would be appreciated. My recorder (phillips 3455h) sometimes gets stuck at the beggining blue sreen. Right after you turn it on. I have to unplug/plug it again to get it to work. So i decided to re install the firmware on the thing. A year ago it got this same failure and re installing the firmware fixed it. So i formatted the hdd in fat32. Now every time I Place firmware disc in the drive it spins for a couple of seconds and then ejects the tray. I have tried to copy the disc every way i can think of. Is there a special program or way to copy it? is there an image of the HDD around so i can clone that image to the hdd and get the thing working? THX
    I don't remember which tool I used to write the disc. If I had to guess, I would say either InfraRecorder or ImgBurn. Here's the important info from the Philips firmware help.
    1. Extract the files by unzipping the zipped file with WINZIP or an other application capable of handling zipped files (Do not rename the extracted files)
    2. Write the extracted files – not the zip file
    – onto a blank CD-R or CD-RW disc, using the following settings:
    - File System: ISO 9660 + Joliet
    - File name length : max11 chars = 8+3 (Level 1)
    - Mode : 2/XA
    - Character set : ISO 9660 (ISO normal CD-ROM)
    - No multi session
    - Write Speed : Low
    3. Finalize the disc. (The application may do this automatically.)
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpcontent.pl?ctn=DVDR3455H/37&dct=FUS&did=ENG&mid=L...scy=US&slg=AEN

Hope that helps. I think for me, I had trouble with cheap blanks. So I used good blanks, wrote them at 4x, and made sure ISO9660, mode 2 was set. Good luck!

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  27. I have a Philips 3455h/37 Where can I get the little dvd drive belt that opens the dvd/cd tray?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Where can you buy a new HDD for this Philips recorder dvdr 3455h? What brand? How many gb can we put in this system?
    Quote Quote  
  29. At this point, it doesn't make sense to invest a huge amount of money on a spare HDD to fix a broken Philips 3455 when you can just go to WalMart and buy a similar complete brand new 320GB Magnavox MDR533 DVD/HDD recorder for $229. The Philips requires an EIDE hard drive: these are long discontinued in sizes it can realistically use, and asking prices for leftover "new old stock" of 160-500GB IDE HDDs typically exceed $129.

While I would normally think twice about purchasing used HDDs on eBay, this is the most cost-effective source of HDDs for old video recorders. You can often find second-hand 160GB IDE drives from reputable sellers for under $50, which is really the max $ amount you should risk trying to fix a recorder like this Philips. Reports in this thread (and many others) indicate successful 3455 hard drive replacement is not guaranteed to everyone who tries. The unit has an annoying need for quirky firmware installation on the replacement HDD that is a magnet for glitches, and many of them resist any attempt to replace the HDD altogether. Given the age of the 3455 and its balky repair history, blowing $129 or more for a new hard drive that it may or may not accept is a bad idea. Try a used HDD, if you can't get it to work your investment is much less and your likelihood of reselling it with little $ loss is improved.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Now why wouldn't you just ask that in the FIRST post you made about it ?
    Quote Quote