VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope this is the right place to post this. I have a Samsung HL-S5087W 1080p and a ton of anime that i'm streaming from a HDD. Half of the anime's subs will be off the screen by about 2"(estimated) I'm kinda at my wits end with trying to re-size all of these. I've tried converting some using several different resolutions and also tried different screen modes on the TV. Of course the "original" size works but is really small on the tv . These are mostly sized at 640x480. What's the optimal resolution that i should be using so the subs show up? Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might be experiencing the TV's overscan. You can try encoding a black border around the videos, or see if your TV has options for disabling the overscan (or even Just Scan options?).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    forgot to mention I'm streaming this through a PS3. I checked and didnt see any scan options anywhere in the menu or manual. How do i encode borders around the video? Is there a guide you could point me to please?

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might have already tried this, but can you adjust the screen ratio. I know on my BRAVIA you can do that by going into the picture mode in the options. Have you tried that?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yea i only get a few options on this tv and none really help. I get 16:9, 4:3 a couple of zoom options and a wide fit option. Subs are off the screen no matter what i do. I have messed around with the ps3 settings as well and changing those screen ratios dont help either. I'll be more than happy to do the black border option if someone knows how to do it. I've used virtualdub before as well as some other video editing tools, just never added borders.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is because the people who fan-sub anime do it for people who what the videos on a PC. This has been a problem for as long as I have been on the boards here, and I suspect somewhat longer than that. Unless you can load them via an avisynth script that adds borders, and transcode them on the fly as you stream, you will have to go back and re-encode the lot with borders.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it only one anime series or just specifically the ones that are 640x480 doing it? And are you using any 3rd party software or are you using whats in the PS3 for streaming. I have a few friends who use TVersity and Nero and they don't have the problem your speaking of.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its most anime series. I've been using both tversity and Playon. I think its an issue with the tv or ps3. I can stream the same anime's to my other tv (vizio 32"lcd) via my xbox 360 and the subs show up fine...very frustrating!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On your TV look for a Just Scan type settings that shows the entire visible image sent from the PS2.

On the PS3 press the Triangle button during playback and choose the option to change the display size. You can set the PS3 to display the video at it's native resolution. This will give you big black borders all around if the resolution is low, but you will see the whole thing.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    On your TV look for a Just Scan type settings that shows the entire visible image sent from the PS2.

On the PS3 press the Triangle button during playback and choose the option to change the display size. You can set the PS3 to display the video at it's native resolution. This will give you big black borders all around if the resolution is low, but you will see the whole thing.
    yep I tried a variety of things with the different display modes. I even hooked the xbox360 to that tv and it's still having subtitle issues. So yea it's the tv If someone could post a guide or just a few instructions to adding the letterbox bars to an .avi file I would appreciate it. I tried a few things in virtualdub but didnt have any luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The simplest way is FitCD to create an avisynth script that adds the borders, then load the script into vdub and re-encode
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Maybe this:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17099666#post17099666

The "just scan" setting is kinda hard to find

Press Home
    Select Settings
    Select Setup
    Select Screen Settings
    Select Display Area - Normal is default - change to full pixel
    If your TV doesn't have the "Full Pixel" setting you should just use VGA. Most HDTVs don't overscan the VGA input because Windows would be useless without being able to see the Start bar at the edge of the screen. The degradation from using VGA rather than HDMI will be less than the loss of image quality from reencoding all your videos.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The PS3 is hooked up using the HDMI port. I'm not using the VGA port at all in this process. I have my PC upstairs that's running Playon and TVersity streaming the Anime from my external HD to the PS3 downstairs. These aren't being streamed from a website nor is a PC hooked directly up to the TV itself.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm not sure what your point is. Most TVs overscan. Fan subbed anime usually don't take this into account. You either need a TV that doesn't overscan, find some software that will display the frame less than the full size of the frame that's being sent to the TV, or reencode the videos with black borders around the edges.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I'm not sure what your point is. Most TVs overscan. Fan subbed anime usually don't take this into account. You either need a TV that doesn't overscan, find some software that will display the frame less than the full size of the frame that's being sent to the TV, or reencode the videos with black borders around the edges.
    Do you know of such software that will change the display as it's being streamed or can you direct me to/or write a simple guide to re-encode the .avi files? I took a look at avisynth and was totally lost with the scripting. I didn't think it would be so difficult to add letterboxing to a video. Thanks again in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    The simplest way is FitCD to create an avisynth script that adds the borders, then load the script into vdub and re-encode
    In fact, any encoder that accepts avisynth scripts - Xvid4PSP, MeGUI etc will also do it. Whatever you feel comfortable with.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Can PlayOn or Tversity stream AviSynth sripts? That would be the easiest way.

Code:
    DirectShowSource("filename.ext")
    AddBorders(32,24,32,24)
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got it to re-encode just fine with borders using xvid4psp and FITCD to make the avs file. Thanks everyone for your help.
    Quote Quote