VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by bblondie5 View Post
    Jagabo... I have a Samsung 32" LN32B360C5D... everything works but the video. When turning on the TV it flashes a picture about 4 times then goes black but the sound works. The power supply is working.. I know this because I already bought a power supply board that just came in today and its doing the same thing. I was thinking of replacing the main board which runs about $70.

My question is.. did your TV behave the same way with the sound working and picture goes black after turning on?
    No, mine wouldn't turn on at all. When power was plugged in it would click once. When the power button was pushed (on the TV or on the remote control) the red front panel LED would blink a few times (four times, I think it was, probably a diagnostic indicator but I couldn't find any reference regarding it). No sound, no picture. But the board I replaced was the CPU board. But failure there could cause just about any symptom. Good luck...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I just bought me a main board for the TV which I really believe is the issue. Another forum with a tech answering customers problems has said it was the main board cuz the customer said that when he used the blow dryer on the main board video comes up and also if he turned it off it wouldn't come back on again til it warmed up and now nothing.

http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/5qa5j-samsung-ln32b360c5d-sn-aza43cps303579z-tv-flashing.html

So I am getting mine from eBay that was listed for $75 free shipping but could put in BEST OFFER and was accepted for $60. Will keep yal posted if this resolved the problem.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well.. the main board came in today and replacing it was very easy... didn't work. TV still comes on with sound and flashing pix about 5 times then goes black as before. More research! LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Of course, we are having the same problem w/our 32" Samsung LED and I see a link to find capacitators.....from one that isn't very handy in the repair area, (and I haven't diasbled the TV yet, but know this IS the problem!) what capaciator should I be ordering?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Joellyk - Please note that not all Samsung TVs have bad capacitors. There's a list of models on the internet and manufacture dates. You should consult that before you make any decisions that this for sure is your problem.

I am a bit tired of saying this, but replacing capacitors is not something just anybody can do and I find it misleading for people to consistently suggest that it's a piece of cake when they've had years of on the job training in doing this kind of thing, something that your average, say, accountant would not have. Based on your own post comments, I feel that your chance of success in doing this yourself is probably 5% or less. If you botch it, you may permanently brick your TV.

bblondie5's post should serve as a warning that there is always some chance that even if you do you own repairs and do it right that you're still not going to fix your TV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Gday, I have had a similar problem, namely that the standby light will come on, then when I attempted to power it on, all power would be cut.
    I have read the posts, opened it up, checked the capacitors, but they are all looking flat and fine.
    Any ideas? It is a pretty old tv (320PX from 2008) and I am not attached to it, but I was looking to use it as a second PC monitor in my study.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an LN46B550 TV and about a week and a half the TV stopped working. No matter whether I use the remote or try to turn it on from the Tv's bezel it will not work even though the red standby light is lit solid. After being defeated I left it plugged in and walked out of the room for at least 2 minutes to take a break and when I came back it was smelling like something was burning. I quickly unplugged it and opened up the back to see what was going on. I did not see anything burning but I did trace it back to the top 1/3 of the inverter board. Will changing the inverter board fix it or is it something else that's causing the inverter board to heat up?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ibuyufo View Post
    I did not see anything burning but I did trace it back to the top 1/3 of the inverter board. Will changing the inverter board fix it or is it something else that's causing the inverter board to heat up?
    You might want to change the power supply board as well. In case the power supply is feeding bad voltages to the inverter board.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ibuyufo View Post
    I have an LN46B550 TV and about a week and a half the TV stopped working. No matter whether I use the remote or try to turn it on from the Tv's bezel it will not work even though the red standby light is lit solid. After being defeated I left it plugged in and walked out of the room for at least 2 minutes to take a break and when I came back it was smelling like something was burning. I quickly unplugged it and opened up the back to see what was going on. I did not see anything burning but I did trace it back to the top 1/3 of the inverter board. Will changing the inverter board fix it or is it something else that's causing the inverter board to heat up?
    I feel like a graverobber on a 5yr old thread but here are my 2 cents.
    I take it "inverter" refers to the CCFL drive/supply. The inverter in conventional LCD TVs and monitors that are CCFL backlit is indeed a collection of Achilles' heels strung together. The main component here is the high-voltage transformer; it steps up the oscillator output to the ~1kV or so required to make the CCFLs glow. This transformer, which is commonly a few inches square, runs hot. Turning on & off the LCD TV repeatedly expands and contracts its joints soldered to the printed-circuit board (PCB). After a few years, the by now cold-soldered joints develop a resistance and itself becomes hot (and may burn the board if it becomes hot enough). Th next failure point is the CCFL connector. Ideally, these connectors should mate snugly for maximum contact (and lowest resistance). But a few loosely-contacting bad ones start heating up from day one, and eventually melt the connector and/or burn the board (at least the immediate vicinity of the connector). Lastly we have the CCFLs themselves; the wires soldered to their ends should ideally allow the high voltages they were designed for. Again, unfortunately, some badly soldered ones will also gradually heat up prodigously and open up the joint (if not burning it first). CCFLs themselves age naturally; their internal vacuum gradually becomes contaminated, dimming the phosphor and allowing the contamination to blacken the electrode ends til the tube dies. Because of the potential for fire, CCFL inverter circuits are designed such that supply to it (or to the TV as a whole) is cut off when such conditions are detected.
    There is no guarantee replacing said inverter board will fix things. When damage on it is visible and can be smelled (blackened portions of PCB), this means that the CCFLs and connecting wires and connectors themselves--the whole chain--have to be checked as well. The LCD TV's main power supply should also be checked while at it.
    CCFLs have been a necessary evil for LCDs. But now LED backlights are here, it is a huge relief, both to professional people like me and to users, of course. We no longer have to contend with high voltages. LEDs generally are more efficient than CCFLs, which means less power to be consumed by them (and much less heat and probability of burning up). LEDs are also infinitely more controllable than the CCFLs they replace; dynamic intensity control leads to wider perceived picture contrast.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I am still sitting on the fence on whether to take the $100 gamble with this TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i wouldn't spend a 100 to gamble on a broken 32 inch. for 199 at newegg i picked up a 1080p 32in. led set last week. not samsung but good enough. the picture's fine for a secondary bedroom set.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i wouldn't spend a 100 to gamble on a broken 32 inch. for 199 at newegg i picked up a 1080p 32in. led set last week. not samsung but good enough. the picture's fine for a secondary bedroom set.
    It's a 46" 1080p LCD. It's not top of the line. I have to check when I get home to see how much the whole TV cost in ebay.
    Quote Quote  
  13. we have two samsung leds that wont turn on
    I dont know what action to take because nobody has mentioned led..
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You fell for the Marketing hype. LED TV's are LCD. Only the backlighting method is different.
    Quote Quote