VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to buy some UK dvd's and I have a Toshiba SD-3960SU from 2004 to play them on which is attached to my TV. Do I need a different player and, if so, want do I look for?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Two problems: The UK videos would be in PAL format and in the US, NTSC is used. And the region coding on the DVDs would be wrong, assuming they have region codings. Most all commercial DVDs do.

You can rip the DVDs on a computer with a program like DVDShrink and eliminate the region coding, but you would still need a player (And a TV or display device) that can play back PAL video.

Some DVD players available in the US can play back PAL videos and some also have 'hacks' to disable region coding.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These are the exact answers I needed. Thanks 'Geek and Redwudz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    You can rip the DVDs on a computer with a program like DVDShrink and eliminate the region coding, but you would still need a player (And a TV or display device) that can play back PAL video.
    To add to that if your computer is already hooked up to your tv as a htpc (home theater pc) you are set to go once its on your computer. Though of course an uncompressed dvd will take anywhere from 4 to 8gb's per movie.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Philips DVP 5990 and 5992 are easily made region free and convert PAL to NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. i love this subject, and that we had many videohelp posters bemoaning the fact that they could not get a dvd recorder with a HD and here they are !
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears
    i love this subject, and that we had many videohelp posters bemoaning the fact that they could not get a dvd recorder with a HD and here they are !
    Err..the op was asking about playing pal on dvd players,not sure how your comment is relevant here.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. That's what happens when you smoke too much Victorian Gold.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think victoriabears was referring to the link in my first post, still irrelevant to the topic though.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use a phillips player i really recommend it, it plays both PAL/NTSC on an NTSC only TV, has HDMI out and plays DIVX/XVID files as well. And its only like 60$

It also plays from all regions (if you change the default, which is set to 1 (US))

Phillips DVP5960
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks All. Ended up buying a Sony for $70US and it works marvelously. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote