VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have implemented SATA/IDE converter for the HDD and that work GREAT. But Have not had luck
    with SATA/IDE conversion for DVD unit. Anyone have luck with that ?
    Last edited by bithead9; 29th Nov 2011 at 18:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I did it! YES. It works. I found the right SATA bridge to be able to convert the 5045 to use SATA drives for the DVD unit. It is not the same one used for the HDD (in Mike B's thread). Here is what I tested:
    Liton 5045 recorder with a Liteon iHAS122 SATA DVD burner. It PLAYS and FAST FORWARDs ! YAY! First one so far that I have seen work on FF! Next I used a Koutech IO-ASA120 IDE to SATA II Device Adapter. I set the pins to MASTER and tested ERASE of a 4GB RW less than one minute. Did a disk prepare (after erase) took 1 minute. Play a standard DVD, no problems. Copied a couple video to DVD from the HDD and no problems. I think we have another supply of non-IDE drives we can now use in our old faithful 5045 units! And here is a place that sells the adapter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812240012
    I would be interested if anyone else has other adapters that work... Have fun folks! BTW the key to this working I believe is to buy an adapter that has the MASTER/SLAVE/CS pins to fully emeulate the IDE. That is my opinion. Since I tried other adapters and none worked until now.

I did detect a problem. More testing is needed. I am getting some BLOCKY video. Hmm. maybe the firmware in the DVD unit needs a tweak.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you ever find a solution to the blocky video?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That seems interesting if it worked.
    Unfortunately my 5045 has a problem with actual DVD drive. It mostly won't take a disk in without some gentle force. Seems like the mechinism is not closing right. It's a Lite On 811 something DVD drive.

What is it with this american market nobody interested in Standalone DVD units. Only thing new out seems to be the Magnavox MDR 515 and the 513 and even then you have to Mail order cant it see in a store. Geez.
    When I purchased my 5045 there was more models to chose from.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To be honest, I never did follow up on additional testing. Luckily my IDE DVD drives are working. I had bought the SATA bridge(s) mainly for the HDD adapter (which works perfect). When I am forced to use a SATA then I will get back to this...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neftv View Post
    What is it with this american market nobody interested in Standalone DVD units. Only thing new out seems to be the Magnavox MDR 515 and the 513 and even then you have to Mail order cant it see in a store. Geez.
    When I purchased my 5045 there was more models to chose from.
    Almost nobody in America wants to keep anything they record. That's why DVR devices such as Tivo rule in the USA and Canada - you watch and delete and get on with your life. Those who like to keep copies of what they record are in a very small minority. I have found that a lot of Americans are obsessive about "clutter" and this is one of the reasons they like DVRs - it saves them from themselves as if they had DVD recorders they'd be storing tons of discs.

In other parts of the world, it's the exact opposite. DVRs are generally unpopular as consumers there ask "Why on earth would you want to record something you can't keep?".

The manufacturers abandoned the North American marketplace because there was simply no demand for DVD recorders. They are reacting to supply and demand. If you look on Amazon you can find a few other recorders beside the Magnavox ones, but you are right that you will have to buy them online and not in stores.
    Quote Quote